What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Best Processor Xeon? AMD?

fishingfanatic

Ok, most people know what I have for benching, Now I have 1 more chance to build a final unit, and haven't found anything definitive yet.

From what I recall, the xeons have 8 or more cores. Now I'm not interested in going multiple cpus, just 1.

Some news about new octo core processors. Do xeons run with Windows, or is a Server os needed. :whistle:

FF
:biggrin:

Fudd Rucker

I think the only issue you might run into is needing a Pro copy of windows, otherwise I don't see any issue from it working as it would like its quad core counterparts. If you got the coin, you could even get a badass 12 core/24 thread Xeon on x79. (Xeon E5-2697 v2). You might even get a limited OC off it via FSB clocking to boot.

Dzzope

All depends on what your doing.

When comparing products for a project I was working on the AMD's even with less efficiency were much cheaper per core and for the products life (we calculated to 4 years)

The only question then becomes suitability for purpose.

fishingfanatic

Best Processor

Yeah, I might pull a quick 1 and use some of the funds to get a xeon if it fits into 1 of my current boards like the X79 Black.

That dodeca core might just do the trick. Now all I have to do is sell my cards!!!lol

Thanks FR, couldn't seem to find anything in a general search, though I probably didn't know what specifics to put in my search.

Now the all important question, will they run 3DMark. Seems silly if they don't though...:whistle:

FF

fishingfanatic

Best Processor

From what I understand they don't oc very well though.

Might be quick enough with 12 cores and 24 threads at stock anyway right?

Mayyybeee.....:rofl::haha::thumb:

FF

BlueByte

Its all about purpose, thread for thread the desktop counterpart will beat their server breathern most of the time. Unless you have a server purpose program or a desktop/workstation program that scales with threads/cache I wouldn't worry too much about server hardware. There are exceptions to this, I don't know the current lineups but both intel and AMD have low end server products that are awesome watt/performance over their desktop versions and are pretty much the same price. As I write this, desktop benching would notice a difference in physic scores but would probably suffer a fps or two because of the lower clock speeds for everything else... Thats my guess anyways. If you have money burning in your pocket I would def like to see the end result.

fishingfanatic

Best Processor

Yeah, I'm not certain about the overall performance, but when I c an engineering sample from a reputable seller for half the price of a new 1, that just gets the blood boiling. 12 cores, 24 threads!

A gamble, but if it performs that well, a great chip I think.

I can't c spending $3000 for a single chip that will be obsolete b4 the burn in stage of the new chip is done.

Unless I win the lottery,...then all bets r off!!!:rofl::clap::thumb: another quadfather perhaps?

Sorry CM, no offense intended. Plz don't put out a contract on me...:sad::haha:

FF

MARSTG

Quad socket systems are difficult to run in Windows, even server, they are a PITA. I had a quad socket Opteron rig and it was not the most pleasant experience.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I had a few quad boards, and had no issues running Windows or Linux. But 'gaming' and 'overclock' with 'quad board' don't go well in the same sentence.... been there, tried that.

Latest posts