What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Best single slot and dual slot(with short cooler) air cooled cards for folding

MacJunky

As the title says, I am looking for suggestions wrt what cards to use in the upcoming CC!
Last year I crammed in a Radeon HD5750 to run games while folding on my GTX460 and a GF9600GSO.. but I no longer have that 5750 nor any similarly performing cards for running games and the 9600GSO is a pretty low PPD card. As are the GT220, GF8600GT, and Radeon 3850 I also have floating around.

tbh I could get by without running many games atm and just borrow a few hours from the 460 that week to run GTLegends and things would be good. That way I can fold on three cards instead of just two!

At the moment it looks like I could use the GTX460, 9600GSO and GT220.. but.. not much PPD. :/ It would be great to replace the 9600 and gt220.
I cannot run two dual slot cards of modern size because the second one blocks _all_ of my onboard SATA ports if it is the same shape and size as a ref GTX460.
So I am looking for options for:
a) Two single slot cards.
b) single slot card and a dual slot card with short cooler.

The motherboard I am working with is a Gigabyte MA790GP-DS4H with the end of the bottom 1x PCI-E slot cut out. Making my available slots listed below.
I have a Corsair TX750W, so powering a bunch of these older/slower cards is not very difficult.

PCI-E 1x (limited by NB heatsink and will be used my my RAID 0 setup anyway)
PCI-E 16x (GTX460)
PCI-E 1x (GTX460 cooler)
PCI-E 1x (cut end, can take a large single slot card)
PCI-E 16x (can take a long card but limited by SATA ports on the end requiring a skinny end)
PCI 32bit (cooler for above, but even further limited by SATA ports.)
PCI 32bit (sound card)

So, what cards should I request in my BST thread that would be suitable?
Or should I just stick with a 15k PPD or so ballpark figure and use the GTX460, 9600GSO & GT220?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Good question, to which I have no answer. I haven't folded with GPUs for quite sometime. I'm sure GPU folders will reply with compatible cards.

MacJunky

Looking at the Cyclone and at a ref 460's heatsink... How about I just remove the shroud of any reference model and poke it into that bottom PCI-E slot?
The Cyclone has a bigger fan and heatsink it looks like. but. *shrug*

MacJunky

Neat, and thank you for the link, but I have now determined that I may as well go for a GTX460 since it runs at the same temp with the shroud missing and also clears my SATA ports! :)
This way I can SLI once CC is done since I am not looking to buy a new current gfx card this generation.

MARSTG

you can SLI it anytime does not impend with anything the SLI, gpus will still be seen as two independent entities, as they are on a 9800GX2 let's say

Latest posts