What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Best Sub $200 sound card

BrokenHalo83

I'm looking to pick up a sound card for my computer. Mostly play games and listen to music. Watch movies and such every now and then. Any ideas?

Lpfan4ever

I'd say the Auzentech Forte as I have one and it's amazing for gaming. I also swapped out the OpAmp for a Burr Brown one and damn it sounds amazing. Plus, I don't know if you have super high end headphones or something, but the built in headphone amp is always a bonus.
To my knowledge, the Asus cards are more focused towards home theatre setups. I'm not saying they're bad for gaming, but I think an Auzentech card will do you better for gaming. Forte or Prelude, they're both good.

lowfat

Staff member
Depends on if you are a fan of EAX or not. But my vote would go for either the Xonar Essence STX for headphones/2 speakers or the Xonar D2X for 5.1/7.1. Although the Prelude/Forte are comparable cards.

BrokenHalo83

hmmm, lots to consider. I do have a set of z-5500's but hardly use them due to me having a pair of grado sr125i headphones.

Fudd Rucker

X-fi titaniaum works great, but you lose Dolby Digital Live and DTS encoding with windows 7. Was a big let down for me as I either have the option now of simulated surround or 2.1 mode which sucks because i have a very nice Polk 5.1 coupled with a Harmon Kardon reciver which sounds absoulutly amazing when running DDL or DTS encoding. The part I really dont get is my old gigybyte am2 board had dolby digital live encoding working just fine with windows 7, but the creative package doesnt.

icarus2

Banned
I second Xonar D2X or Xonar Essence STX...last sound card you will ever buy.

Latest posts