What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Best wireless router

Jokester

Looking to replace my aging TP-link that has spotting performance and has to be rebooting for time to time these days.

The only problem in selecting a new one is, every time I think I found one I see people having issues with them, even the expensive models.

The place is 1,100 SqFt, as long as it can provide good strength through a couple walls that would be ideal.

If you have a wireless router that you have found works excellent, please let me know! cheers!

Lysrin

It might be getting a little older now but I have been very pleased with my ASUS RT-AC68U and the firmware updates are still coming regularly.

My house is a two story, 2200 sq.ft. not including the basement. I have the router in the front corner of the basement and I have no trouble with signal anywhere in the house including the 2nd floor, even for streaming video via Chromecast, etc. I also have in-floor heat so that means 1.5" of concrete on all the levels. Doesn't seem to bother it at all. Replaced an older Netgear router and it has been far superior.

It's nothing too exotic or fancy but it has been working excellent for me.

FreeKnight

I've had two ASUS routers that have been really solid. To add to lowfat's question; what's your main concerns; function, range, gaming performance etc?

There's a few newer routers that were great for fast response and low latency, but their range wasn't as good as the 'non-gaming' routers IIRC.

djbrad

Changed my E3000 for a RT-AC66U B1 in february, around 140$ cad in special.

It is the same hardware as the AC68U for a lot less (dual core, AC1900).

Using asuswrt-merlin on it, very stable, covers a lot. I stopped using my repeater because it is so good.

Lpfan4ever

I picked up an Asus RT-AC3100 on clearance from Memory Express for something around $200, the thing is an absolute monster for speed and range. It's also the only router I've used that didn't make me want to slap DD-WRT on it by the first 15 seconds of using it.

JD

Staff member
Yeah, these 2 items would be a good bet, as long as you don't mind doing some configuration. It's not as simple as your run-of-the-mill consumer WiFi router.

Fleet Network and FetchCart are generally cheaper. That being said, I've had an ER-X-SFP on order from Fleet for over a month now and they haven't replied to emails...might end up getting PayPal to refund me.

I run a ERPro-8 & UAP-AC-LR though. No complaints. I've added some of the UniFi security cameras as well.

Tyrann

Not sure who your provider is, but both Rogers and Bell have high end modems with AC wireless that work really well now and can verify great range/speed. Just call them up and say you're dissatisfied with your current modem's wifi performance and want to cancel and they will give it to you for free. Rogers is called the rocket modem and Bell is Home Hub 3000.

I currently use the Bell one after switching from Rogers (cause of a deal) and it hasn't had any issues with over 8 devices connected to it at our home. Plus, its free...

Latest posts

Twitter