What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

BFG Tech Sending Out RMA Denial Letters: Winding Down Business

Perineum

Oh, no, this is awful!! :(
My card (BFG 9600 GT OC) started dying last week before pretty much conking out a few days ago: artifacting on start-up and BIOS, and failing to load windows (cycle of rebooting). I confirmed it was the card this weekend, when I tried different monitors with no luck, and then replaced the card with an old XFX GeForce FX 5200, which did work.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

425F @ 5 minutes is the best advice I can give if the warranty doesn't work anymore :thumb:

Baking a video card? :eek: Never heard of that but I'll look into it - I suspect my card killed itself by overheating so I wonder how baking would help.
It's not really heat that does it in my experience, it's the temperature change the video card goes through that causes them to stop working. Baking them (can) reflow the solder and cause your card to work again.

Last edited:

slugbug

It irks me that their website has no mention of this at all. In fact there have been no updates to the Information and News section since Dec 2009.

jonnyGURU

It irks me that their website has no mention of this at all. In fact there have been no updates to the Information and News section since Dec 2009.
That should cue you in right there. Why would a company that's potentially going out of business tell all of it's customers on it's own website?

U

Unregistered

BFG

Just because they have a supplier not giving them parts does not give them a free pass out of repairing anything. The warranty was provided by BFG, its their warranty, not the parts supplier.

As long as they have a business of any kind, they will be responsible for this.

encorp

That is also why their suppliers are not supplying them, probably because they do not have the credit for the parts anymore.

This smells of bad business management to be honest.

B

Baker

Bake your cards

I have a Lenovo T61p and the onboard nVidia card stopped working. I disassembled the card and cooked at 375F for 7 minutes and now it works good as new!

I read others doing it and as my board was out of warranty and dead I figured I had nothing to lose. Can't believe it worked but I haven't had any problems in the past 3 weeks since I did it.

Photograph

Since BFG is gone I took the proactive stance of making my BFG GTX 260 card cooler and hopefully last longer as there is no warranty anymore.

I first replaced the crappy slimy paper-ish stock thermal pads and gobs of chalky TIM material with something much better:

I also cut out the exhaust grill for better airflow:

Then I put it all back together with the good ol' stock cooler:

And then I made it work even better by bonding a copper cored Athlon 939 OEM cooler to the exposed heatpipe using AC Thermal adhesive increasing the amount of cooling surface area a great deal and bumping the thermal envelope up a few notches.

And then I strapped three spare 80mm Coolermaster fans on there and I am ready for years of productive folding action :bananafunky:.

Now when folding even overclocked it only hits 60°-65°, before the mod it was getting into the mid 80°'s at stock speeds with the fan at 65%. Now all I need is some cooler weather to get back to folding regularly.

:punk:

See ya later BFG, have fun in hardware heaven.

Latest posts

Twitter