What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bicycle wheels

danmitch1

Blue locktite is my goto for finicky issues like that.
You know what, that is a great Idea! This wheel adventure is getting old lol

EDIT: then again.. I wonder if the forces that are causing this will be stronger than the locktite..

Oh I forgot to mention, the drive side frame has a cross hatch pattern on it, like grip but not the non drive side.. im wondering if the knurl side of the locknut needs to face the frame on the drive side and then face the bearing cone on the non drive side?

Last edited:

Cannon Fodder

You know what, that is a great Idea! This wheel adventure is getting old lol

Wow, is it EVER - you go from tightening up while riding, to getting loose....... WTF!!! o_O

EDIT: then again.. I wonder if the forces that are causing this will be stronger than the locktite..

Oh I forgot to mention, the drive side frame has a cross hatch pattern on it, like grip but not the non drive side.. im wondering if the knurl side of the locknut needs to face the frame on the drive side and then face the bearing cone on the non drive side?

I rather doubt it.

This whole issue is starting to sound like the Twilight Zone. :eek: I'm blown away at how something as simple as tightening up a lock nut against the bearing cones can result in either the wheel bearings getting tight, or loose..... this is something that ought to be a case of tighten those two against each other, and then they DO NOT move 'til next time you get the wrenches on them to do any maintenance of the bearings. I'm really starting to wonder if maybe you ought to take the bike to a shop and explain the issue, and see what they can figure out. :unsure:

danmitch1

Wow, is it EVER - you go from tightening up while riding, to getting loose....... WTF!!! o_O

I rather doubt it.

This whole issue is starting to sound like the Twilight Zone. :eek: I'm blown away at how something as simple as tightening up a lock nut against the bearing cones can result in either the wheel bearings getting tight, or loose..... this is something that ought to be a case of tighten those two against each other, and then they DO NOT move 'til next time you get the wrenches on them to do any maintenance of the bearings. I'm really starting to wonder if maybe you ought to take the bike to a shop and explain the issue, and see what they can figure out. :unsure:
You and me both... last ditch effort.. I bought a proper 15mm bearing cone wrench and some blue thread lock.. maybe im just not getting the right torque on the locknut with that shitty dollar store wrench.

Cannon Fodder

You and me both... last ditch effort.. I bought a proper 15mm bearing cone wrench and some blue thread lock.. maybe im just not getting the right torque on the locknut with that shitty dollar store wrench.

Here's something I'm curious about, in your two pics..... in the 1st pic, of the non-drive side, the arrow is clearly pointing to the lock nut:

danmitch1pic2_2.jpg

Now the 1st pic you uploaded, I've got the arrow pointing to what APPEARS to be the bearing cone, i.e. it APPEARS as though it's the item with only two flat sides, which has me wondering WHERE is the lock nut in this pic?

danmitch1pic1_2.jpg

Cannon Fodder

Now the 1st pic you uploaded, I've got the arrow pointing to what APPEARS to be the bearing cone, i.e. it APPEARS as though it's the item with only two flat sides, which has me wondering WHERE is the lock nut in this pic?

On 2nd perusal, I guess it's probably the lighting in that pic, and/or the gunk...... that IS the lock nut.... right? The bearing cone is in the hub, hidden by the sprockets....

Cannon Fodder

Well, that's possible, but I've used some crappy, cheap bike wrenches to get onto the bearing cones on bikes I've done maintenance on, and haven't run into that problem, HOWEVER, I have often cursed them 🤬 for even making those bearing cones with such narrow shoulders on them, such that you HAVE TO use thin wrenches, instead of normal wrenches, which you COULD get plenty of torque on.

Aaaaand, I hope you don't end up regretting using thread lock on that axle...... :unsure:

danmitch1

Well, that's possible, but I've used some crappy, cheap bike wrenches to get onto the bearing cones on bikes I've done maintenance on, and haven't run into that problem, HOWEVER, I have often cursed them 🤬 for even making those bearing cones with such narrow shoulders on them, such that you HAVE TO use thin wrenches, instead of normal wrenches, which you COULD get plenty of torque on.

Aaaaand, I hope you don't end up regretting using thread lock on that axle...... :unsure:
Yep, that is a lock nut (hard to tell i know, i didnt even know it was there at first cause of the gunk lol)

I should get my wrench tomorrow, I hope that does the trick.. I think Ill skip on the thread lock for now, i needed it for other projects anyway and see how it goes with some added elbow grease! I rode it in today, it doesnt seem to be any looser than yesterday but maybe it just cant get any more loose !

Cannon Fodder

I rode it in today, it doesnt seem to be any looser than yesterday but maybe it just cant get any more loose !

I expect that's the case, cuz when you think about it, with the QR lever tightened up on the frame, against the lock nut/bearing cone, those items threaded onto the axle can only back off, or tighten up, a very small amount...... unfortunately, either of those options is undesirable. So yeah, let us know how it goes once you get that wrench.