What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bigadv Core A5 Coming Soon Including Linux; Client Upgrade Req'd [6.34 Binaries Up ]

Dead Things

Actually, apparently the @reboot string will run without the need to login, which is something I never knew before. Cool! So I guess it doesn't matter if you have a password or not.

So the easiest way to do it would be this:

Code:
crontab -e
Then select your editor. I tend to use nano personally. Under the reference line add this line:

Code:
@reboot [PATHTO]/fah6
As an example, on my machine that string would look like this:

Code:
@reboot ~/Folding@home/fah6
That should launch it once automatically at reboot.

^x to save, Y to write and Enter to exit. Then try rebooting to see if it works.

Last edited:

lowfat

Staff member
Being using Ubuntu for a while now. Honestly I don't see any improvement over Windows for folding. If in the rare occasion I get a P6901 WU, I get about 117k when it finishes. Which turns out to be around 125k ppd. This is w/ the CPUs @ 3.65GHz. Pretty much exactly what I was getting w/ Windows 7.

theAnimal

Being using Ubuntu for a while now. Honestly I don't see any improvement over Windows for folding. If in the rare occasion I get a P6901 WU, I get about 117k when it finishes. Which turns out to be around 125k ppd. This is w/ the CPUs @ 3.65GHz. Pretty much exactly what I was getting w/ Windows 7.
I'm getting at least 1 minute less per frame. Are you using BFS & The Kraken?

lowfat

Staff member
Yes I was. I am going to try out the V7 client and see if there is any improvement. I will install The Kraken 0.4 for it once I downloads both Fah cores, as I have no idea where copy them manually.

lowfat

Staff member
Anyone using the client 7 beta in linux? Trying to install The Kraken 0.4 but having some issues. Anyone tell what I am doing wrong?

PHP:
brendon@Fortress:/var/lib/fahclient$ thekraken -i
thekraken: The Kraken 0.4 (compiled Sun May  1 20:44:23 MDT 2011 by brendon@Fortress)
thekraken: Processor affinity wrapper for Folding@Home
thekraken: The Kraken comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; licensed under GPLv2
thekraken: performing installation to .
thekraken: descend into /var/lib/fahclient/configs and all other subdirectories [Y/n]? y
thekraken: /var/lib/fahclient/cores/www.stanford.edu/~pande/Linux/AMD64/Core_a3.fah/FahCore_a3: problems occurred during installation, no installation performed (code 2)
thekraken: /var/lib/fahclient/cores/www.stanford.edu/~pande/Linux/AMD64/Core_a5.fah/FahCore_a5: problems occurred during installation, no installation performed (code 2)
thekraken: finished installation, 0 out of 2 files processed

lowfat

Staff member
I couldn't figure out how to get The Kraken to work w/ the client 7 betas so I went back to 6.34. Now I have a considerably improvement, nearly 15k higher than before. All I did was reinstall the folding@home client and upgrade to The Kraken 0.4. WIN.

lowfat

Staff member
Reinstall Ubuntu. This time, Ubuntu 11. I am doing the BFS stuff and have got the point:
PHP:
sudo update-grub

My outcome is slightly different though, is this because I am using Ubuntu 11? Is there anything I need to change?
PHP:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic-ck
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic-ck
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-8-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-8-generic
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
done

EDIT: I just rebooted for the first time and now it is a completely different interface, AHHHHHHH I don't know how to use this thing now! :doh:

Last edited:

Xeven

Relax. Just logout, then choose "Classic" interface and login again :p And yeah, I loathe Natty as well :haha:

Latest posts