What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

BIGGEST Solar farm in the world to be built in Australia...to power Singapore!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

this project is mind blowing. once complete it will generate up to 17 - 20 gigawatts peak solar power with a battery storage facility holding 36 - 42GWh of potential.

the plan is to build it 600km below Darwin in the desert that has the most yearly sunshine. It will be 12,000 hectares in size and construction is expected to start sometimes in 2023 with completion in 2027, when some sort of 'power line' will have been laid on the ocean floor almost 3000 miles to Singapore, where it will provide up to 15% of their power needs, some 3.2Gw.

my mind is blown!

Shadowarez

Folding Team
wonder if they will build this to be modular as in being able to replace the panels as the tech advances for better efficiency as it seems to be getting better and better with every breakthrough with new materials.

moocow

Is it me or is the Aussie kind of dumb? They have a big open space to build solar farms but don't use it for themselves to power other stuff and innovate. I mean how long can you really sell coal to China? They already try to cut back to a point of blacking out their own factories.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
Is it me or is the Aussie kind of dumb? They have a big open space to build solar farms but don't use it for themselves to power other stuff and innovate. I mean how long can you really sell coal to China? They already try to cut back to a point of blacking out their own factories.
mmm...only a 5th of what the farm will generate is going to Singapore. 3.2GW...vs the 17 - 20GW it can generate, plus the fact they will have a massive battery holding an IMMENSE amount of electricity.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
mmm...only a 5th of what the farm will generate is going to Singapore. 3.2GW...vs the 17 - 20GW it can generate, plus the fact they will have a massive battery holding an IMMENSE amount of electricity.
You got it. Thats why the battery farm is so large. The sun aint producing 20GW overnight, and sure, power usage goes down overnight too. But you gotta charge the bank during the day so that it can be drawn from overnight.

42GWh at 3GWh of use is only 14 hours of stored power use.

chibi_man

wonder if they will build this to be modular as in being able to replace the panels as the tech advances for better efficiency as it seems to be getting better and better with every breakthrough with new materials.
This is a big problem with legacy solar components across the board. Replacing modules has always been easy. Its infrastructure that's the problem. Sites are built to spec. Systems get old newer systems are bigger. Now your infrastructure cannot handle the larger capacity.

We call it "Re-Powering", and it's a pain.

moocow

thats what i thought they are not universally adapatable to changing standards which sucks thats alot of E-waste in next decade.
I thought all panels are basically connected with +/- terminal to a controller. Wouldn't the problem with re-powering setting up the wiring, controller, and battery storage to match the new panels' capacity? Also, won't the panels be sold as used assuming they can still produce power?

Latest posts