What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

BIOS update fears

n0mad

Hey everyone!
Now, I have an old MSI DKA790GX AM2/AM2+ motherboard. I'm wondering what everyone's experience was with the M-Flash on MSI's motherboards? And the success rate on these older boards? I never found the need to BIOS update... So, I never do it.. But, looking on various sites. The AM3 CPU won't work unless I BIOS update it.

supaflyx3

I haven't used the MSI one, but the one on ASUS is pretty good, if its the same all you do is pop the rom file on a flash drive, dvd or floppy, and run the update utility pointed to the file and it'll update, it's always best to update your bios on a ups/battery back up if you have one in case of a power surge or outage.

n0mad

LOL Yeah. I'm probably gonna turn off EVERYTHING in the apartment, before I try it. Thanks, I've overclocked and everything but never did a BIOS update. Most of the time, I just get a new platform.

Shadowmeph

the only time I ever had a failure was with a video card( 5 yrs ago) in which I had thought that the Bios was finished ... it wasn't and it turned my video card into a brick lol but I have flashed a few Motherboards and routers and such since then and never had a screw up

KaptCrunch

nOmad if do a bios update ....it has to be done in dos

also with MSI make sure you have correct update for they change chipsets on motherboards making a REVISION of MB

don't confuse with bios version

as i only see DKA790GX MB no AM2/AM2+ in model number

but bios G1 2010-10-28 for DKA790GX

best rum MSI update to verifi correct bios version ......don't execute just look then double check version against MB model and REVISION of MB

i know in early days of auto update they messed it up with wrong MB REVISION

Last edited:

Latest posts