What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bitcoin mining, how do I?

upcoast604

I noticed today that bitcoin mining is supposed to be on the rise again.

I have no idea where to start could someone help point me in the right direction to get me set up?

Thank-you.

MARSTG

Maybe mining with a Canadian team? I would subscribe to that as well, I got the right card for that!

Bond007

There is quite a lot to look into while you figure it all out. If you want to just set it and forget it, either permanently or just until you get the details figured out, you can give this guide a go.

How to Bitcoin for Beginners

EDIT: nevermind, I see you already commented on that guide. You can see my comments already for what I setup. I don't have the time to keep an eye on how certain currencies are fluctuating etc, so nicehash works for me.

Cptn Vortex

Just setup the Nicehash, looks like my GTX 670 FTW's generate about $1USD per day. Not profitable for me.

upcoast604

Just setup the Nicehash, looks like my GTX 670 FTW's generate about $1USD per day. Not profitable for me.

So I got the nicehash set up and with the r7 265 it fluctuates around $1.40usd mark.

Other pc. The FX8350 some how generates $0.75usd a day and the r9 280x estimates $3.00usd a day.

I don't know if this is the best way to generate funds for a new GPU, I'll have to keep an eye on power consumption.

Dragonstongue

this is where tweaking comes in, to maximize the hash rate while reducing power consumption, but, at lest when I got out of it, the best coin to mine if you did not have an asic was Ethereum as gpu mining for bitcoin was at that point, simply not worth it, unless you had multiple gpu to do so, and your power was not costly per kwh type deal, cpu mining for any alt coin that I know of, has long been pointless as gpu especially AMD ones are SO much faster, more power used, yes, but when the given hash rate is magnitudes faster it makes sense.

Maybe some gpu depending on power consumed and the much faster performance many of them now have (example R9 290 RX 480/580, R9 Fury etc) it maybe means they actually turn a profit, however, unless it is for specific alt coins that are ASIC proof (that is, ASIC are unable to hash the workload) ASIC are far far faster and average much much less power consumed, so therefore GPU mining for the most part can be done, but compared to something built for that purpose alone it almost is not worth it, now, if you had 2 gpu, 1 was for gaming, and the other was for mining in the same machine at the same time type deal, that is its own thing as well.

MARSTG

For my 290X it says is doing 28Mh/s, I am skeptical about this thing, but as the electricity is not a factor for me, I'll go with the flow.

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
Honestly, with all of my spare hardware I should get into this. At last count I had 197 graphics cards sitting in the storage locker. Add the 19 I just retired and...yeah.

Latest posts