What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Black Display on POST

Ashkian

System specification:
HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
Board Born On Date
06/22/2012
BIOS Version
F.2D
BIOS Vendor
Insyde

System boot manager:
GNU GRUB ver 2.0.4
It is used since many years ago.
System boot manager and OS last installation date : 2020-02-28

System hardware configuration last change year : 2017
All hardware components including external monitor which is attached via VGA cable are working propertly with same config from some years ago.

Issues:
1- After plugin power, system will be booted without pressing power button. This issue raised since about 1 year ago.
2- Sometimes system started to type letters randomly and did not get my input using keyboard and mouse. This issue raised since about 1 month ago.
3- Found issue on scanning operation. This issue raised since about 1 month ago.
4- After booting, no display in POST. This issue raised since about 1 month ago.

My workaround:
I think all above problems are input-output issues so BIOS is source of issues. I replaced CMOS battery 1 month ago and issues numbered 1,2,3 solved but isuue numbered 4 is not solved. I try some boots to have booted system successfully.
I checked replaced CMOS battery, it was less than 2 vol and new battery is about 3.2 vol, so new battery is OK.
But what to do to solve remained issue (no display in POST) which occures sometimes?
After replacing CMOS battery, I updated BIOS to version F.2D.
But no display in POST issue is not solved and ocuures sometimes and I must do some boot try to have booted up system finally.

Hello,
What should I do to solve the issue?

sswilson

Staff member
Is there no display to an external monitor when connected? If you see a display on the external monitor but not on the main one then it's quite likely that it's the ribbon cable for the laptop's monitor.

Other than that.... could in all honesty be just about anything from a failing major component (board, cpu, memory, etc... ) to a flaky HDD or poor memory contacts.

First thing I'd try is to remove the memory and clean the contacts with 99% alcohol to see if that resolves the issue. Other than that... try another HDD, or barring that, see if you can get it to boot to a "live" USB linix distro consistently without seeing the issue re-occur which would suggest the culprit is HDD related.

Beyond that, you're starting to get into component level with the only real options to an end user being to try re-inserting the various ribbon cables on the board hoping that maybe one of them has a bad contact that would be resolved from a re-seat.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Could also be a faulty USB device if you're using the same ones and the problems remain.

Ashkian

Is there no display to an external monitor when connected? If you see a display on the external monitor but not on the main one then it's quite likely that it's the ribbon cable for the laptop's monitor.

Other than that.... could in all honesty be just about anything from a failing major component (board, cpu, memory, etc... ) to a flaky HDD or poor memory contacts.

First thing I'd try is to remove the memory and clean the contacts with 99% alcohol to see if that resolves the issue. Other than that... try another HDD, or barring that, see if you can get it to boot to a "live" USB linix distro consistently without seeing the issue re-occur which would suggest the culprit is HDD related.

Beyond that, you're starting to get into component level with the only real options to an end user being to try re-inserting the various ribbon cables on the board hoping that maybe one of them has a bad contact that would be resolved from a re-seat.
Thanks for the answer.
When the issue occurs, both display are black (no signal).
I reassembled all components and reconnected all cables and found pad power cable connector on the board is disconnected from board, so I am using external mouse instead.

Ashkian

thanks for the answer.
the only used USB port is for external mouse and the issue is no signal for both main and external monitor.
when issue is fixed by itself, same as past, first main monitor receives signal and then external monitor is detected automatically and receives duplicated signal.
Could also be a faulty USB device if you're using the same ones and the problems remain.