What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Black Friday 2020 Discussion & Deals

Lysrin

Yeah you don't get the fancy box lol
Well... forget about it then! 😜

I think although it would be an upgrade, my 8700K isn't feeling limiting atm and the $400+ towards a 3070 or 3080 or something would be a wiser move at some point. Maybe a used 9900K would be ok if the price was low enough...

Bond007

Well... forget about it then! 😜

I think although it would be an upgrade, my 8700K isn't feeling limiting atm and the $400+ towards a 3070 or 3080 or something would be a wiser move at some point. Maybe a used 9900K would be ok if the price was low enough...
That makes more sense to me.

sswilson

Staff member
Pulled the trigger on a MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk @ $200. I had been looking at the cheaper (it's on sale) MSI X570 Gaming Plus, but this one looks like it's got superior hardware in spite of the lower end chipset. Now to wait and see what a 5600X settles at over the holiday season. :)

Going to try for the $80USD steam credits and there's apparently a $10 MIR on top of that. (It's been forever since I bothered with a MIR).

Bond007

Pulled the trigger on a MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk @ $200. I had been looking at the cheaper (it's on sale) MSI X570 Gaming Plus, but this one looks like it's got superior hardware in spite of the lower end chipset. Now to wait and see what a 5600X settles at over the holiday season. :)

Going to try for the $80USD steam credits and there's apparently a $10 MIR on top of that. (It's been forever since I bothered with a MIR).

IMO that is an excellent price for that board. Nice purchase!

Supergrover

Tomahawk is a nice board IMO.
Just a FYI dragon center will completely mess with your voltages, steaming pile of crap, and if installed you will need a uninstaller to completely remove it.

I install set my lights and uninstall via Revo.

I ended up giving up on my "rewards" from MSI endless runaround.

sswilson

Staff member
Tomahawk is a nice board IMO.
Just a FYI dragon center will completely mess with your voltages, steaming pile of crap, and if installed you will need a uninstaller to completely remove it.

I install set my lights and uninstall via Revo.

I ended up giving up on my "rewards" from MSI endless runaround.

What was it doing to your voltages? Too high? Not stable?

My 4770 board was an MSI, but that was mITX so a different beast all together. Pretty impressed that this board has 8 fan headers, hopefully it allows for a mix of 3 and 4 pin fans to be independently controlled.

edit: And what exactly is a regular joe like me supposed to do with a bloody 2.5G ethernet port????? :)

Supergrover

What was it doing to your voltages? Too high? Not stable?

My 4770 board was an MSI, but that was mITX so a different beast all together. Pretty impressed that this board has 8 fan headers, hopefully it allows for a mix of 3 and 4 pin fans to be independently controlled.

edit: And what exactly is a regular joe like me supposed to do with a bloody 2.5G ethernet port????? :)
None of my cores will park, the vcore never drops below 1.1-1.2v @ idle, fan curves only sometimes work if set via DC. Had random BSOD as well as randomly wont detect the M2.2 slot. Mysticlight randomly loses setting and goes to default ( rainbow)

Rip it out set everything in BIOS and it is rock solid stable.

TBH it isnt in DC but is in the MSI.sdk, just uninstalling never fixed the issues I had. I have not used it in a while though might be better but have not bothered. I dont change my lighting so it offers me nothing that the BIOS doesnt.

sswilson

Staff member
None of my cores will park, the vcore never drops below 1.1-1.2v @ idle, fan curves only sometimes work if set via DC. Had random BSOD as well as randomly wont detect the M2.2 slot. Mysticlight randomly loses setting and goes to default ( rainbow)

Rip it out set everything in BIOS and it is rock solid stable.

TBH it isnt in DC but is in the MSI.sdk, just uninstalling never fixed the issues I had. I have not used it in a while though might be better but have not bothered. I dont change my lighting so it offers me nothing that the BIOS doesnt.

What did you end up having to use to uninstall the sdk? I'm not overly concerned about controlling the lighting (there's actually a physical button to turn it off on the Tomahawk), I'm mainly wondering about being able to individually control each fan header.

What board did you have problems with?

As far as BF purchases go... in the spirit of all hardware purchases snowballing.... snagged a WD Black SN750 (500GB) to throw onto the Tomahawk. :)

Latest posts

Twitter