What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Black Friday 2020 Discussion & Deals

Supergrover

What did you end up having to use to uninstall the sdk? I'm not overly concerned about controlling the lighting (there's actually a physical button to turn it off on the Tomahawk), I'm mainly wondering about being able to individually control each fan header.

What board did you have problems with?

As far as BF purchases go... in the spirit of all hardware purchases snowballing.... snagged a WD Black SN750 (500GB) to throw onto the Tomahawk. :)
I use REVO for all my uninstalling needs , well worth the few bucks I paid for it.

Yeah lighting can also be ON'OFF ed from the BIOS also, is on my x570.

BIOS works just fine for setting fan curves for me, sadly I only havez 4 fan headers excluding cpu and pump headers.
It is a MPG x570 gaming edge wifi, the one with shitty vrms, though I have not had a issue with it but only running a 3600x. Once I ditched DC it has been a solid board.

How come you didnt go with a gen4 drive? Sale I take it?
Just replaced my 970pro with a sabriant rocket gen4, wickedly fast ........ but no real world impact af far as I can tell.

sswilson

Staff member
I use REVO for all my uninstalling needs , well worth the few bucks I paid for it.

Yeah lighting can also be ON'OFF ed from the BIOS also, is on my x570.

BIOS works just fine for setting fan curves for me, sadly I only havez 4 fan headers excluding cpu and pump headers.
It is a MPG x570 gaming edge wifi, the one with shitty vrms, though I have not had a issue with it but only running a 3600x. Once I ditched DC it has been a solid board.

How come you didnt go with a gen4 drive? Sale I take it?
Just replaced my 970pro with a sabriant rocket gen4, wickedly fast ........ but no real world impact af far as I can tell.

Straight up cost decision. The one I picked was $94 delivered, and even with that, I'm already spending $170 more than the $150 I got for my recent phone HUP (Got $150 for my used P20) so I didn't want to push it too hard.

The MPG X570 Gaming (same board without the wifi) was in my cart for the longest period of time but ultimately it was the VRMs that pushed me towards the Tomahawk.

edit: WRT Dragon center... there is a relatively new version out, and MSI has a stand-alone uninstaller (claims it's for both DC and the SDK.)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Tomahawk is a nice board IMO.
Just a FYI dragon center will completely mess with your voltages, steaming pile of crap, and if installed you will need a uninstaller to completely remove it.

I install set my lights and uninstall via Revo.

I ended up giving up on my "rewards" from MSI endless runaround.

Holy crap, what a PITA just entering the information the way they want it. I think I got it right for the "up to $80 Steam credits", but I won't be expending any more time on trying to get it if it doesn't work the first time. (I'm not even going to bother with the $10 MIR.... it'd cost me $3 to mail the bloody cut out from the box so the hour or so it'd take to do up the paperwork and then mail the bloody thing is worth a hell of a lot more to me than the remaining $7.

What a freaking process.... did they hire every sleazy MIR marketer they could find to set it up and manage it?

Izerous

Folding Team
BF felt like a dumpster fire this year. Maybe a TV or two that caught my attention but nothing at a serous enough deal that screamed BUY ME NOW. I bought my wife a christmas gift or two from best buy but even those items were not smoking hot deals that I have not seen other parts of the year.

Entz

This has been true for a while TBH, black Friday has been meh for quite some time. Products are onsale all year round and the lead up this year has been weekly sales in Oct/Nov.

I guess I did get some ram that was too good of a deal to pass up but mainly because Amazon doesn't offer price protection so they get a return (such a waste but its what they do)

FreeKnight

BF felt like a dumpster fire this year. Maybe a TV or two that caught my attention but nothing at a serous enough deal that screamed BUY ME NOW. I bought my wife a christmas gift or two from best buy but even those items were not smoking hot deals that I have not seen other parts of the year.
The last BF deal that I remember being really 'smoking' was when the Intel 480gb SSDs (Intel 520 models maybe?). But that feels like ages ago now.

Entz

Same, I have 4 in my server (730 series with the skulls on them) :D

Edit: Damm that was ages ago. BF 2014 o_O

Latest posts

Twitter