What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Black Friday GPU bust

Alwaysrun

After 6 years of solid performance from my SLi GTX 670s I finally saw the light of a much needed GPU upgrade in my future. So being a frugal guy and it being near Black Friday I figured I'd wait a month till the deals hit and I could pull the trigger on a reasonably priced mid tier GPU. All the hottest enthusiast website blathered about great deals so I was getting amped and educated myself about the average and lowest prices of the RX 580/590s GTX 1660ti and the RTX 2060 all within my price range and 1080p gaming performance. Since my last GPU purchase so long ago I found comparative pricing a real easy task as we have sites like pcpartpicker, shopbot.ca and camelcamelcamel to really help educate consumers on prices.

Armed with a real grasp on current pricing I signed up to computer hardware sites like newegg, canadacomputers, memory express and a few other of the usual suspects when it comes to great deals. With my credit card number ready to paste at 12 midnight EST I found to my dismay that every single site with a GPU deal I was interested in I couldn't advance the purchase page to actually complete the purchase. Server errors galore (understandably), limited availability, and just straight up blatant consumer baiting stymied my every attempt to upgrade my GPU.

I'm still holding out for Cyber Monday deals or perhaps I'll wait until Boxing day deals if that's still a thing. So basically as they say "Misery loves company" so please share your Black Friday war stories and victories and "nearly hads" with me. Also I'd like to know was it just me that thought the GPU deals were meager this year?

Cannon Fodder

Yeah, I've been eyeballin' RX580/590 deals for a while now, and ISTR seeing a 590 at Canada Computers for $210. On a related topic, which probably ought to be in the "Rants" thread, it just blows me away, while perusing the Vancouver Craigslist ads, that folks are still asking ~$160 - $200 for used 580s..... do NONE of them check current prices of new stuff!? :rolleyes:

CMetaphor

Quadfather
I ordered my Ryzen build, my wallet cries. But it could've been much, much worse. Nearly every single party had some sort of discount or deal. Yes, the ones for the gpus were the least impressive, but since i went pure AMD, i managed to get two copies of BL3 on top of everything else. And that suits me just fine. My gaming buddy and I will both have a free Excellent game to play in a week or so. Besides which, i probably saved 500 or more in total, so I'm pretty happy with it all.

Last edited:

Alwaysrun

Izarous & Cannon Fodder that RX 590 for $209 was one of 4 fantastic deals I tried to pounce on. The other of note was a Gigabyte RTX 2060 windforce OC over at Canadacomputers for $359! Both those deals I tried to buy but server errors in the buying process stopped me and by the time (4mins after midnight) I could reconnect the sites said no online stock available.

CMetaphor you reminded me of the fantastic bundles AMD has on atm. The red team were smart offering "Raise the Game" promotion to spice up their rather weaker GPU line up for us 1080p gamers. You just can't beat the bang for the buck with all those rx 5 series cards atm.

When I wore a younger man's cloths I'd camp out over night in a sleeping bag and folding chair for a good deal but I thought everything by now was weighted to online sales but perhaps that just happens on Cyber Monday. Seriously every single retailer had sale item supply weighted to in-store only and very few stock for online sales. And the mighty Amazon had only a pittance of weak every day price drops that camelcamelcamel told me were only equal to past prices.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yeah I don't bother with store camping at all anymore. If I go Canada computers nearly my place on Monday, it'll be at least an hour after they open. If there's a terrific deal left, I'll take it. But if I miss out, meh. We get so obsessed over desks at this time of year, but so many of them are just mediocre at best. And when the original price of a thing is, say, under a hundred dollars, who cares if you save ten bucks more than a regular sale or not?

Literally, the only deals I think would be worth it, would be on very expensive single items (ex: a TV or similar), and since I don't need anything like that right now... Meh.

Alwaysrun

Well Cyber monday was a bust with the years previous lows barely being matched. The few meager deals were snapped up within seconds and online stock was low. Nvidia is habitualized to gouging consumers ever since the crypto bubble and now the new norm of costly GPUs is here to stay. Hopefully more competition from AMD and Intel can break this trend of higher prices and we consumers can benefit from the lower costs from increased competition in the new year.

kosmic

Lots of RX580 on the used market. Got a nice RX580 Nitro+ 8GB for 150$ and think it's a fair price. PPl selling them at 180$+ are stuck with them. I'm upgrading from an ASUS GTX770 2GB! :)

Twitter