What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Black Screen With Cursor

element291

This isnt a big deal, it would just cut 8-15 seconds off my bootup time.

I noticed with windows vista, (im running x64) that after the green bar finishes, the screen goes black, then I can see my cursor...

It sits there for a good 8-15 seconds, then the WELCOME screen appears.

I was wondering if there was a simple fix for this? Or is it a common problem?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

bojangles

Common problem. I get something like 5-8 seconds. It's the startup programs probably taking up some booting time from Windows files, so it appears to be booting slower.

rjbarker

Disabling both unnecessary "Services" and "Apps" in msconfig should speed this up, I get about 3-4 sec.

enaberif

Disabling both unnecessary "Services" and "Apps" in msconfig should speed this up, I get about 3-4 sec.

Please stop giving that advice out.

AGH!.

go into the services management screen if you wish to do that and if you wish to remove apps from starting up use something like Codestuff Startup.

Using msconfig to do these things has been gone the day of the dodo bird.

And before you do ANY of that.. check your error logs

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
Not many people seem to know about that. Works in XP too. :clap:

Chilly

It works for me Enab...no offence, but why is this not acceptable? You've sparked my "curiosity"...:blarg:

It tends to "break" stuff, and with the latest OSes(Vista, 7, XP SP3) most of the services are "automatic" meaning they only turn on only when needed, and then turn off when done. It tends to cause weird, unexplainable quirks if you disable them, and all for what, 3 seconds less in boot time? Because that's about the only performance boost you'll see. Gains are minimal, yet the issues it can cause are major.

Unless you have a specific reason to disable a service, or you know VERY WELL what your doing, your generally better off leaving them alone. Long story short, its more of an advanced tweak, that very few people have the knowledge to do properly. While you and me may know what works and doesn't work, most people, even most computer geeks, have no clue and would end up borking something.

Latest posts