What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Black Screen??

Soultribunal

Staff member
Well I've got an interesting intermittent problem.

System:
Intel Core i7 930
EVGA X58 3way SLI
PNY GTX465
WD Black 640
6GB G.Skill 9-9-9-27 1600 1.65v
Win 7 64 Bit Home Premium

Every now and then, my computer boots up and I get the windows splash page. After that the traditional blue windows loading screen.
What happens after is wierd.
The screen is just black. My monitor light is blue and solid (meaning it has signal), my EVGA board has its diagnostic LED showing my CPU Temp (which means successful Post) and my HDD light is occasionally flickering.
But, it doesn't load windows. I don't get anything.
I have all my drivers up to date. WIndows is up to date.

Sometimes after 1 restart I get it back, sometimes it takes 1 or 2 before I get it back and running.

Anyone have any ideas on this one?

ST

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Either re-install video drivers or repair W7. Last time this happened to me I had to repair.

JD

Staff member
Hmm that happened to me last night. Screen went blank, but my music kept playing happily. Reset fixed it though and it's been fine tonight.

Though I think my Windows 7 install has been flaky since day 1.

boggtrotter59

I had a similar problem before where the screen would go black during bootup for a few seconds and sometimes would just stay black. A reset would get me into Windows but not always. I tried updating drivers and loading a fresh disc image of my Windows install but this didn't fix it.Turned out the problem wasn't driver or software related... it was the videocard. I flashed the bios on the card and this fixed the problem.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Well, I've re-installed drivers and such so we shall see if that fixes it..

As for the multi-monitor question, its only hooked into a single one right now.

Power connectors are both good on the board and on the VC.

I'll keep everyone posted if it happens again, and if W7 repair doesn't fix it.

ST

martin_metal_88

Most if not all of the above are true and possible. But let me add one more :) Last timethis happened to me on a client build turn out to be the video card. Took me over 3 week to make the same bug on my test bench with the video card. Unfortunatly, asus return me the same one...I think you have a lot of troubleshooting to come dude. But well, as we know you you will fix this. GL ST ;)

Soultribunal

Staff member
Most if not all of the above are true and possible. But let me add one more :) Last timethis happened to me on a client build turn out to be the video card. Took me over 3 week to make the same bug on my test bench with the video card. Unfortunatly, asus return me the same one...I think you have a lot of troubleshooting to come dude. But well, as we know you you will fix this. GL ST ;)

If by some dumb chance it is the VC, i've got a lifetime worth of warranty so I'm not overlly concerned.

So far its been okay for me, but time will tell I suppose.
I'll keep everyone posted if that changes.

ST

Latest posts