What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bluetooth devices for PC?

sswilson

Staff member
I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something.... are there any real "must have" bluetooth devices designed for PCs?

I'm assuming there must be some keyboards and mice, but do they offer any kind of improvement over a wireless USB dongle other than being able to natively connect without requiring a dongle?

I can understand if a person was already using a bluetooth connected device for a mobile device, but is there any compelling reason to consider switching to one over a wireless USB device?

ZZLEE

headset can be nice you can listen to you yourself while you are away from your PC.
WI FI would be more powerful but you can take calls on bluetooth.

MARSTG

I can confirm that. Is so nice to stay in bed and watch your shows without any cables attached. And then when you leave the room switching to cellphone is so easy. See my signature.

FreeKnight

I think it's mostly a per-device situation. My logitech conventional wireless (MX5500) kb+m had way better range and response than any bluetooth kb+m I've ever used. Was pretty good for ME2 on the plasma years ago. I've got a razer naga for the surface 2 pro and it's only advantage is not taking up the sole usb slot with a dongle.

If I'm at a PC, I feel like cords aren't a big deal with some cable management and ties. In a HTPC or steambox situation I'd feel a little different with 20ft of USB across the floor.

JD

Staff member
Xbox One controller (latest model) uses Bluetooth now. Really handy.

And BT KB/Mice may be more secure than whatever wireless they use in those receivers. Not 100% sure.

sswilson

Staff member
Xbox One controller (latest model) uses Bluetooth now. Really handy.

And BT KB/Mice may be more secure than whatever wireless they use in those receivers. Not 100% sure.
More secure as in keystrokes wouldn't be "readable"?

I'd never even considered the possibility that wireless signals between keyboard and receiver could conceivably be intercepted. I'm assuming that would completely negate any banking website password encryption assuming somebody could get close enough to read them.

Is bluetooth encrypted between devices? That would be a feature worth looking into, although I supposed anybody doing banking away from their desktop would probably be using a laptop keyboard.

JD

Staff member
I know businesses have been keylogged by using wireless keyboards. There's little dongles you can plug in that will capture that signal. In your home, I wouldn't be too concerned. I kind of doubt the signal would reach your neighbours.

I was just thinking when you pair a BT keyboard, you have to type in the random passcode. Not sure if it's encrypting or not though. On the surface, it seems more secure than just pressing a "connect" button.

ZZLEE

You set up password when you fist connect device and again if the they get garbled they are supposed to be encrypted.

Latest posts

Twitter