What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Boot lockup with Logitech Unifying Receiver

moocow

I'm not sure if I'm looking at a USB header issue or a faulty USB receiver. My HTPC would not boot with the receiver in the front slot. Also, the PC would sometime crash with the unit in place. Sister already try plugging in a wired keyboard into USB and seem to boot fine. Anyone experience issue similar to this using a Logitech Unifying receiver?

Bond007

I can't help you on a fix, but I have run quite a few different unifying receivers on multiple PCs without ever having an issue. One in my desktop for probably 2.5 years, and one in each of our 2 laptops for around 2 years each. They have been bullet proof for me.

Did you try it in a back USB port on the motherboard?

moocow

Sister said she tried it the back ports already. I think the next step is to plug it into one of my laptop and see if I can reproduce the problem.

bignick277

Some motherboards have been known to have issues with certain types of USB devices plugged in on startup. You'd be surprised just how common this type of issue has popped up over the years. Unfortunately this type of issue is going to be manufacturer specific so there are only 2 entities you can contact to fix this. It will either have to be the manufacturer of the device (which odds are slim to get help from them, especially if this issue only effects your specific motherboard), or more commonly the motherboard manufacturer. Usually a BIOS update. You can try updating your BIOS now to see if they've already addressed USB based issues. If the problem remains, I suggest creating a thread on the motherboard manufacturers forums to bring attention to the issue. As I said, USB device related issues on certain motherboards is a common occurrence. I've ran into several over the years, and it's always taken a BIOS update to fix it. If the issues you were experiencing were while you are in Windows, then you would have more avenues to explore, but since what your describing is a POST boot lockup, then you have to go through the motherboard manufacturers support forums.

As a temporary solution, most of these issues I've seen in the past, only effect POST lockups. Usually you can unplug the device until windows boots, and then plug the device back in and use normally, usually without any further issue while the machine is running. But you'll have to unplug the device every time you boot the machine again or risk another lockup.

Hope this helps.

KaptCrunch

yes check that its not in a 3.1V. usb port or bios flash back port, needs USB 2.0

also check the usb header pinout is correct to the usb port with a multi-meter or tester

test only at the plug end MB and USB socket not the MB Header it self

or most of those case USB aren't pinned correctly

Attachments

• logiUSB.jpg
    logiUSB.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 697
  • mbUSB.jpg
    mbUSB.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 898

KaptCrunch

another thing to check is your motherboard firmware has any fixes for your issue

most MB have own app to check drivers are up to date

Rison

Administrator
Folding Team
I've used the logitech unifying receivers since they came out. I thought it was the most super cool thing (pre bluetooth) so you can sync multiple devices in one usb dongle.

I use them exclusively at work (MK520 kb/mouse combo) and have used them in business' in the past 6-7 years.

But yeah, they can mess up. Specifically, they have to be in a USB 2 port in order to install windows on (win7 and 10) and i've seen some really weird unpairing. I've had a lawers office machines sync to each other (automatically, I still don't have a clue how it happened) so one user was controlling everyones mouse cursor on their PC.. that took a bit to fix. Logitech never had an answer for me on that one.

For instance i've seen after win7 install if you put it in USB slot 1 only the keyboard would work. Put it in slot 2, only the mouse would work. Run the little software app, and it shows that they are both sync'd.
Currently, the download for Logitech software sync utility has a friggin virus on it - so beware on that one. My router and symantec picked up on it immediately.. and since they're both crap antivirus, that says a lot.

I have had these things ONLY work in the front USB ports.. and not the back motherboard ports (I don't even care to explain how this happened).. but yeah, my advice to you is to buy a 3 or 6 foot USB 2 extension cable and run it from the back to front if you have distance issues with it being in the back. I've reinstalled drivers and flashed bios' until the cows came home.. but it took a full system wipe to work correctly again. I'm not saying that will fix it for you, so the extension cable is the fastest / easiest solution i've found.

moocow

So I plugged in another receiver from my work mouse and the machine booted up right the way. I even manage the add the keyboard in the software and pair up with the receiver with no issue. I now have a replacement unit coming in the mail and I'll see if this one will also work.