What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Booting to Windows Issue – Inconsistent Subsequent Black Screen

anonalchemist

Issue:

From a cold boot, the system gets past the POST screen. Boot sequence is successful up until after the Windows 10 loading screen, of which inconsistently (1 out of 7 attempts average) results in a black screen afterwards. Monitors do not detect input. All fans are spinning – system is non-responsive to any input afterwards (keyboard is not lit up).

System was newly built 3 months ago. Thoroughly stability tested and ran issue free for 2 months (this issue has been happening in the past month).

Specs:

* Windows 10
* RAM @ 3200Ghz
* EVGA 750W B2
* Ryzen 1600 @ 3.75Ghz
* MX 200 SSD
* GTX 1070
* MSI B350 Tomahawk

Troubleshooting:

Only workaround so far is to perform a forced shutdown via power button and turn the system back on (and hope for the best). So far, the issue has not persisted twice in a row on boot attempts.

I had a thought to downclock the CPU to default (and RAM) as well, however I would figure that with instabilities, they would not allow the system to POST. In addition, the issue appears to be new.

I also have Event Viewer Logs from “System” events available as needed – not sure where to upload these if they are helpful.

Any ideas on what the issue might be?

Thanks!

Dwayne

I did a quick Google and fast startup is mentioned as a possible problem. If you can get into Safe Mode (or just into the machine) try turning it off through the power options.

Other thing to try when you get in is to check the windows installed files. Open a dos window with CMD command and type Enter sfc /scannow to scan the windows system files.

Perhaps you have a corrupted file needed to start the system? It all depends on what you can do if you get in. Banging F8 to try and get in safe mode, if you are fast enough maybe, then try the fixes above? I have heard that F8 does work but with fast boot stuff you have to be lucky too.

KaptCrunch

what bios version your at now ?

I see current is 7A34v16
Release Date
2017-06-26

Description
- Improved memory compatibility.
- Updated AGESA Code 1.0.0.6

looks to me bad OS install or failing storage

if a SSD check firmware update

Last edited:

MeLeMko

I had the same issue before a BIOS update for Mobo. I'd go to turn on my computer, everything would be running - yet a black screen would appear.

After update, no more issues.

On2wheels

Did you confirm no events were logged? My system did that when a temporary power failure/brownout partially shut my pc down a few months ago. Had to repair with a Win10 install usb. I bought a Battery backup from Costco to avoid it again.

Dwayne

Did you confirm no events were logged? My system did that when a temporary power failure/brownout partially shut my pc down a few months ago. Had to repair with a Win10 install usb. I bought a Battery backup from Costco to avoid it again.
UPS is a great investment in computer hardware protection. It can save you thousands of dollars in the long run, and prevent many headaches down the road.

Did the OP fix the problem? Did you figure it out? Please share so if we have similar problems we can add your fix to our tool box of solutions!

Latest posts

Twitter