What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bottle neck?

Bond007

CPU bottleneck (should have no problems with SCII as long as you don't have everything maxed with a gtx 460). Not sure on your motherboard, but should be able to drop in a new processor. an x4 955 would fix all your problems for approx $150. Or you can go for an entire new build if you have the money.

On2wheels

Similar scenario,only I'm running the 9650 Phenom quad & 4gb ram, ya it's old, my whole system is. So, I was thinking of the GTX560Ti to breath some new life into it (replace an 8800gt), but like the op, would I be fooling myself and better to build a new system?

I don't know much about o/c so that's not really what I wanted to do but seeing as it's near the end of life of this cpu and mobo, if I don't have a buyer for it I could try squeezing a few more mhz out of the quad.

Last edited:

_dangtx_

Banned
yup. wait for dozer though. worse that can happen is more competition=lower prices :)

botat29

get 8GB it's always usefull when you want to fire something in virtual

what's a dozer?

Dan refer to the new CPU AMD will release, what he seams to forget, is that we don't have a price, in the pass when AMD release FX cpu it was around $ 1000 and what if their first chips will be Opteron ????

So Dan wait for what and can we afford it ?

Just to refresh the memory here and old review of the last FX they made

"....The Athlon 64 FX is the most powerful device in the AMD64 processor family - and its $1,000 per-unit cost also makes it the most expensive....

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-athlon-fx-60-dual-core-assault,1204-2.html

don't get me wrong my last 3 vmware builds was with AMD 1090t, So I will dream of a Dozer 12 or 16 cores at less than $ 500

Last edited:

Soultribunal

Staff member
yup. wait for dozer though. worse that can happen is more competition=lower prices :)

Sometimes Dan forgets that not everyone knows how to translate what he says.

Personally speaking wait to see what comes on the market in the near future, and hopefully either get a nice AM3 setup for Dirt cheap with Bulldozer (AMD's) Launch, or grab a SB (Sandy bridge, Intel) Setup when the price drops come.

Any overclocking though needs to be with the K series processors. If you don't have one of those, you won't get anything on the OC I believe.

ST

_dangtx_

Banned
Sometimes Dan forgets that not everyone knows how to translate what he says.

Personally speaking wait to see what comes on the market in the near future, and hopefully either get a nice AM3 setup for Dirt cheap with Bulldozer (AMD's) Launch, or grab a SB (Sandy bridge, Intel) Setup when the price drops come.

Any overclocking though needs to be with the K series processors. If you don't have one of those, you won't get anything on the OC I believe.

ST

reason for which thine existencez es no futile! :)

yeah, take it easy unless you want it now!

On2wheels

haha, thanks. well I kinda did want that 560Ti deal that's on for a couple more days, $199 after MIR. then if it's not enough improvement I'd start buying other parts. I think that makes sense, no?

Bond007

haha, thanks. well I kinda did want that 560Ti deal that's on for a couple more days, $199 after MIR. then if it's not enough improvement I'd start buying other parts. I think that makes sense, no?

At least if you buy the GPU it can go in your new system once you see that you become CPU limited.

On2wheels

At least if you buy the GPU it can go in your new system once you see that you become CPU limited.
That's what I was thinking. I've come to learn so much from the users here, I just wanted to run by you all and see. thanks.