What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bottom mounted psu and carpet

FlyingFish

I'm thinking of getting a new case, with a bottom mounted psu, my one concern is that my room has carpeting everywhere. Has anyone ever run into problems with having a bottom mounted sucking air in from the carpet?

lowfat

Staff member
What case are we referring to here? There is no way I would have my PSU on my FT01BW facing down until I put wheels on it so it has more clearance.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Yeah it all really depends on the Case, I second lowfat's suggestion.

I wouldn't be doing it for any of the 3 cases I have with bottom mounted PSU's. There is just not enough clearance.

ST

MpG

Some bottom-mounts still have their fans facing upwards, so it may not be an issue. But yeah, if it is pulling from the very bottom, you definitely want it to have some under-clearance before you drop in carpet.

encorp

I always try and keep cases off carpet anyways; due to static electricity. Generally it's not an issue but if you can get some wheels or rubber risers to lift it 2-3 inches up that would make a big different; maybe make sure you have a fan filter on the bottom.

xilocient

Another alternative would be to put your case on top of a sheet of wood, plastic, or really sturdy cardboard. The legs should give enough clearance for good air flow into the PSU while keeping the dust down.

antiacid

technically, most psu's are exhausting through the fan therefore blowing air on your carpet with the intake being either at the back or inside your computer. That's how mine works anyway. But yeah, clean it once in a while like everything else in your house ;)

Soultribunal

Staff member
technically, most psu's are exhausting through the fan therefore blowing air on your carpet with the intake being either at the back or inside your computer. That's how mine works anyway. But yeah, clean it once in a while like everything else in your house ;)

What PSU are you using that does that?! Unless you got one with the Fan reversed.

Every PSU I've ever Owned the Fan is the Intake and back is the Exaust.

ST

Twitter