What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

British Farmers install 1 Gbps Fiber Optics network

ShinraCorp

Well I read this on Gizmodo (of all places) about a group of British farmers that decided, enough is enough, they wanted internet, good god did they get it. The farmers cooperated with each other so that they can install fiber optics underground. Luckily the farmers had some people who work in the IT domain to help them.

Now they have the download speed of 900 Mbps, while costing only 1000 pounds instead of 10 000 pounds from a company.

SOURCE: British Farmers Install Their Own 1Gbps Fiber Network in the Middle of Nowhere

I say we should do it ourselves and not impose a cap limit haha :p

Last edited:

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
About those farm subsidies....waste of taxpayer money?

Perineum

This is why I think that fiber should be laid by a crown corporation that stays close to revenue neutral. In the end, all ISPs from all over Canada could compete with one another for customers, and all would be via the fiber network. After the large areas were done to maximize returns they could then look to installing fiber to the smaller communities. The goal of the crown corporation would to have any community of more than 20 homes with at least one fiber link going there as it was affordable to do so. After that the ISPs just pay usage costs to cover rent of the line and upkeep. For smaller areas a single WiMAX link would probably work.

Cell towers could also piggyback off this as well.

Or we can keep 90% of our country by land mass in the "dark" so to speak.

ShinraCorp

This is why I think that fiber should be laid by a crown corporation that stays close to revenue neutral. In the end, all ISPs from all over Canada could compete with one another for customers, and all would be via the fiber network. After the large areas were done to maximize returns they could then look to installing fiber to the smaller communities. The goal of the crown corporation would to have any community of more than 20 homes with at least one fiber link going there as it was affordable to do so. After that the ISPs just pay usage costs to cover rent of the line and upkeep. For smaller areas a single WiMAX link would probably work.

Cell towers could also piggyback off this as well.

Or we can keep 90% of our country by land mass in the "dark" so to speak.

I like that idea, but let's face it.... it'll probably never happen. It's pretty much up to the private sector to layout a fiber optics network... which sadly they can charge whatever they want since there's not that many competitors.

Latest posts