What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Broken pci-e slot

Kmk0311

Hello everyone,

When I was trying to remove my GPU from the motherboard after removing the retention lock the plastic housing came along with the gpu and now the pins on the motherboard are all bent. Is there any possible home solution to this? a:sad:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-02-25-19-37-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-02-25-19-37-07.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 945

sweenytodd

No more homemade solution, sorry. You could've still use the motherboard if you have two PCIe x16 slot (which Z170 motherboards do) and use the lower slot.

SugarJ

Staff member
Folding Team
That board only has one x16 PCIe slot. It's toast. Are you sure the retention clip was unlocked when you pulled the GPU out? Your only option is to RMA the board with MSI saying that the plastic connector was faulty.

Hewfil1

No homecooked solution from me. Short of straightening pins and replacing the plastic retention clip.

Kmk0311

yes rma it or esd iron and new pcie socket

No homecooked solution from me. Short of straightening pins and replacing the plastic retention clip.

That board only has one x16 PCIe slot. It's toast. Are you sure the retention clip was unlocked when you pulled the GPU out? Your only option is to RMA the board with MSI saying that the plastic connector was faulty.

No more homemade solution, sorry. You could've still use the motherboard if you have two PCIe x16 slot (which Z170 motherboards do) and use the lower slot.
I thought I wouldn't be going for a sli, hence settled with this board. Now I'm looking at the asus h170 pro/ pro gaming. How are those?

So if I rma what are the chances of replacement? Also is there possibilities of straightening the pins, in turn servicing the whole board? Or do I have to look for a new one?

Thanks.

Groove

Now I'm looking at the asus h170 pro/ pro gaming. How are those?

I recently built a system for a friend with that board and an i5 6400. Board is alright, has fairly good shielded audio although I'm not sure with codec it uses, it has intel 219v network chip, m.2, etc. Its obviously not an OC board and I couldn't get his 2400 g.skill ddr4 to run at 2400, seems like the board is really limited with the stock 2133 but that's not really a big deal anyways. I find it can be a little overpriced, i guess there some kind of "pro gaming" tax on it, but if you can get it on special its a much better deal imo.

Kmk0311

@Groove Main reason I'm thinking to buy the h170 pro gaming is that I have a i5 6500 hence oc-ing is out of the picture, so the z170 boards are mostly going to be of no use for me. Sounds like you're not really satisfied with the board, would be nice if you could suggest few other boards. :D

Groove

@Groove Main reason I'm thinking to buy the h170 pro gaming is that I have a i5 6500 hence oc-ing is out of the picture, so the z170 boards are mostly going to be of no use for me. Sounds like you're not really satisfied with the board, would be nice if you could suggest few other boards. :D

No no, it's a good fit if you don't plan to do any OC but at that price point (almost 200$) it's pretty close to a asus z170-A. Like I said if you can find/wait for it to go on special it makes more sense imo.

clshades

I would not try and fix this board. Send the board with the plastic connector in to MSI and they should fix it. If not they simply lose your business. The more you screw around with it the less likely to get it replaced.

Latest posts