What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Broken pci-e slot

Hewfil1

Also is there possibilities of straightening the pins, in turn servicing the whole board? Or do I have to look for a new one?

Thanks.

I would go at it with a set of jewler's tools, precision pliers and such. Board is already broken prettymuch, no harm no foul, right?

sswilson

Staff member
Typically if a pin is just bent at one point it might be possible to bend it back into place (mechanical pencil tip if you can get it in there), but once a large grouping is mashed down like it looks in the image it's a very daunting task and more often than not isn't successful. If the pin isn't mostly straight it's probably not going to come back to a usable position.

Kmk0311

The RMA was declined by MSI. So I got myself a new board.(h170 pro gaming) Once I get the board back I'll try repairing at the local service place..

Thanks all.

Helios79

I would not try and fix this board. Send the board with the plastic connector in to MSI and they should fix it. If not they simply lose your business. The more you screw around with it the less likely to get it replaced.

MSI wouldn't admit to a manufacturing fault of this nature, nor would any motherboard manufacturer for that matter. The motherboard manufacturer will always claim customer damage in a case like this, and I am inclined to agree. This is the first time I've seen a PCI-E retention bracket being separated from the pins.

KaptCrunch

begs to read the manual, i'm sure that this was brute force trying to remove card and not knowing about the release tag

sswilson

Staff member
I've always found the "wing" style lever tabs a bit of a pain. Much preferred the looping pin style.

Hewfil1

I've always found the "wing" style lever tabs a bit of a pain. Much preferred the looping pin style.

They resulted in me snapping the lip off my 750Ti because of the card size it got stuck against the backplate. They're utter crap.

KaptCrunch

best use a pencil with eraser and use the eraser to push the lever for our hands are just too dam big to get in between cards

no sideway torqueing only vertical exit from MB

Latest posts