What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Broken screw post on waterblock?

Vittra

Got a few items from a member here on the B/S/T board. Finally got around to checking them out and when I opened up the GPU block (Aquacomputer 780/Titan block) box I found a loose object that I reaaaaallly was hoping wasn't what I thought it was. It was.

I'm assuming that this is basically junk at this point. Anyone care to confirm?

Birk

You can skip that one. Block is still useable. you could put that peg between the card and block where it would normally go but really the location of that will be fine without torque

TheDarkLord

You can skip that one. Block is still useable. you could put that peg between the card and block where it would normally go but really the location of that will be fine without torque
You just made him rethink his BST thread, that 690 that I've had my eye on for a while now might be back up for sale lol

Vittra

Hmm.. it's worth a shot if it isn't critical. I won't be able to try it for at least another few days but that gives me some hope :D.

The 690 may be going back on sale afterall, yes :p

KaptCrunch

simple fix if handy with tools and drill press, cobalt or HSS drill bits

drill out broken piece using left twist drill bit using a cordless reversible drill (store sells right twist bits may have to go to a industrial supply house)

have bit smaller then standoff boss threaded male end

once remove then use a bit that is same as hole in waterblock

then drill through completely on a drill press with a block of wood under waterblock

use fiber washers as spacers to get right standoff height

get screw that will fit card, spacers, waterblock and enough for a nut

how it got broken.......person used a screw that wasn't same thread and jammed and twisted off standoff

Attachments

Last edited:

Vittra

Thanks KaptCrunch, unfortunately I don't have the tools necessary to facilitate something like that.

I reached out to Aquacomputer who will be sending a replacement screw - which, quite frankly, is fantastic support as I was upfront and indicated it was purchased second hand despite it not being used. I have purchased new products from them and will continue to do so if this is the level of service they provide!

They also indicated this trick to remove the old screw, which I will try this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbRRewJzbKI

zoob

Better than Swiftech. I lost a screw cleaning a CPU block and they essentially told me to eff off and buy a new top that comes with a new set of screws.

Masteroderus

simple fix if handy with tools and drill press, cobalt or HSS drill bits

drill out broken piece using left twist drill bit using a cordless reversible drill (store sells right twist bits may have to go to a industrial supply house)

have bit smaller then standoff boss threaded male end

once remove then use a bit that is same as hole in waterblock

then drill through completely on a drill press with a block of wood under waterblock

use fiber washers as spacers to get right standoff height

get screw that will fit card, spacers, waterblock and enough for a nut

how it got broken.......person used a screw that wasn't same thread and jammed and twisted off standoff
Is kptncrunch really the wizzard of OZ? He knows way too much for one man!

KaptCrunch

Thanks KaptCrunch, unfortunately I don't have the tools necessary to facilitate something like that.

I reached out to Aquacomputer who will be sending a replacement screw - which, quite frankly, is fantastic support as I was upfront and indicated it was purchased second hand despite it not being used. I have purchased new products from them and will continue to do so if this is the level of service they provide!

They also indicated this trick to remove the old screw, which I will try this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbRRewJzbKI

THAT will work provided standoff isn't bottomed out in block

then need the left twist bit to remove

Masteroderus: no OZ just a natural macgyver

Twitter