What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Browsers other than Edge slow after update

FreeKnight

After reinstalling W10 after a clean format of my HDD, I'm running into a strange problem where any browser other than edge is slower than hell. Dial-up slow. Assuming pages don't time out.

If I try to open cbc.ca/news in Opera or Chrome I'll either time out or have gray boxes while it's trying to get images. In the meantime I can go through a dozen pages in Edge with no problems.

I've updated my drivers both from ASUS and in Device Manager. Windows update shows no outstanding updates. Downloading a game through Steam I get easily 4-9 Mbps download so it's not my connection.

Running the network troubleshooter I get a 'Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings' and that's it.

Router is an AC3100 ASUS. PC is connected via Ethernet cable.

Any tips or suggestions gents? Don't make me use Edge :haha:

Shadowmeph

wow that's strange only thing I can think of is Plugins and as blockers things like that on the other browsers I know that edge is quicker on my PC and laptop compared to my other browsers but only maybe 1 second but that is becasue I have allot of plugins like Ghostery and ublock and a few other . I never liked edge or IE I do know that I have to use edge for my banking online because I get a "Error 500: javax.servlet.ServletException: Filter : filter is unavailable". edge is the only browser that works

FreeKnight

I'm pretty sure it's not plugins/trackers. I've disabled everyone; no luck. Uninstalled them; no luck.
But Edge (and Firefox which I'm just testing now) seem to work fine with my normal plugins anyway (ABP, Ghostery, Lastpass and Honey)

I'm not particularly knowlegeable on proxies. Any specific settings/tips Enaberif? So far the only thing on in the CP's Proxy settings is 'automatically detect settings' which toggling off doesn't seem to do anything.

In Internet properties > Connections > LAN Settings
Automatically detect settings is enabled. Everything else unchecked or blank.

If I go into

djbrad

To elimante any problems with the windows os, I suggest booting grom a linuxlivecd, like ubunti and linuxmint an test the firefox / google chrome from them.

JD

Staff member
You could try from elevated command prompt (run as admin):
netsh int ip reset
netsh int winsock reset
netsh winhttp proxy reset

That should reset any network related configuration.

Could be DNS though, in Chrome you could try disabling the "Use a web service" and "Use a prediction service" settings under Advanced. You could also try disabling Hardware Acceleration.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
There is a issue with 1803 update and chrome for that reason alone I refuse to touch any updates. It's well documented that 1803 broke any browser other then Edge. Me thinks it's on purpose.

This is the exact issue I was having with fresh install and update 1803 update.

Chrome issues

JD

Staff member
There is a issue with 1803 update and chrome for that reason alone I refuse to touch any updates. It's well documented that 1803 broke any browser other then Edge. Me thinks it's on purpose.
It was fixed the following month after 1803 came out in the monthly cumulative patches. All the more reason to stay up-to-date IMO.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
Lol tried it again still getting same issues thought I'd test within a vm just be sure and chrome still wants fail. But that's ok I'll stick with 7 long as I can get drivers for the hardware lol.

Latest posts