What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

BSOD error

miggs78

Ok guys tried to access my 4 hdd's in RAID after 3 months (when it was in working condition)..

I get a BSOD 0x0000007b, which seems to be some hard drive problem. So I tried repairing windows, no luck, Recover Console: fixboot, fixmbr and also did a chkdsk /r with no luck either. Then I re-installed windows over top still get the BSOD.

Can't even boot to safe mode. Only reason i'm accessing that RAID array is because I am trying to backup my existing data, software, music etc. Is there anyway I could save all that info or even a backup on another hdd without booting to windows. I could connect another SATA 500GB hard drive.

Thanks.

tzetsin

fastest way would be to download a live copy of Ubuntu, or maby damn small linux, then access the drive from there if they are able

enaberif

Ok guys tried to access my 4 hdd's in RAID after 3 months (when it was in working condition)..

I get a BSOD 0x0000007b, which seems to be some hard drive problem. So I tried repairing windows, no luck, Recover Console: fixboot, fixmbr and also did a chkdsk /r with no luck either. Then I re-installed windows over top still get the BSOD.

Can't even boot to safe mode. Only reason i'm accessing that RAID array is because I am trying to backup my existing data, software, music etc. Is there anyway I could save all that info or even a backup on another hdd without booting to windows. I could connect another SATA 500GB hard drive.

Thanks.
That Error # means a file system problem.

Are you running the same board as before taking down the RAID array?

miggs78

That Error # means a file system problem.

Are you running the same board as before taking down the RAID array?
The board the RAID was in last was a p5n32e-sli 680i board, but the BSOD was on a a8n32 sli (which I used when I started using RAID), when I switched board from the a8n32 to a 680i, I had to do nothing at all, just plug in hdds in new board, and it picked it up. So thats why I tried it on a different board. But even if it is a file system error, I reinstalled windows, which should have fixed it.

Well I'll put an extra SATA (which already has windows) and boot with it, to see if it detects the RAID drive letter in windows, if it does well and good. If not I'll try a Linux distro. Well first time I lost 500gb worth of stuff (backup) from windows, when I plugged it in, and for some reason it was formatting it quitely. This time its something else.. wow.

NyteOwl

What level RAID? If you used the on-board fake-raid and windows drivers you may not be able to mount the array under another OS, or using a motherboard with a different type of controller/driver set. I'm guessing that the controller/driver combo on those two motherboards you already successfully moved it between are either the same or very close or the array would likely be unreadable. Indeed if it worked on the other board and doesn't work on this one that may indeed be the problem. The only truly "portable" RAID arrays are those done in hardware, and those done entirely in software where you can move the array from machine to machine so long as it's the same basic OS.

Fake-raid is, unfortunately, a hybrid with all the shortcomings of it's parents and few of their virtues.

Last edited:

miggs78

Let's call it a day, and say the data will never be recovered. To say the least while I was troubleshooting drives pulling them out and plugging them back in, one of them smoked, I saw smoke coming out, turned off the system right away. It looked like since out of the 4 hard drives, the 2 that were connector using the same SATA power connector, the one that was toasted also took out the other one too.

Oh well!!.. Thanks for any comments.

1Tanker

Let's call it a day, and say the data will never be recovered. To say the least while I was troubleshooting drives pulling them out and plugging them back in, one of them smoked, I saw smoke coming out, turned off the system right away. It looked like since out of the 4 hard drives, the 2 that were connector using the same SATA power connector, the one that was toasted also took out the other one too.

Oh well!!.. Thanks for any comments.
Ahhh man, what a bummer. :shok: I guess that may have been the reason for the file-system error, to begin with. :doh:

tzetsin

ouch! I feel your pain brother... i once formatted a full 500 gig external drive instead of the usb drive i wanted too... lol at least this wasnt your fault heh.

Twitter