What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

BSOD frustrating computer

MeDS

I try to help my Friends and Family when they are having computer issues.

I have come across a new problem with my Aunt's computer. It's a generic computer and I don't have all the specifications for it.

It randomly BSODs. I am thinking it is a virus, hardware problem (drivers) or a combination of the two.

I have read troubleshooting essentials: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/troubleshooting/21-troubleshooting-essentials.html

I'm just not sure in what programs I should run. I'm thinking that I should run memtest.

Any other suggestions, information you guys need that would help me solve this issue?

I appreciate any help
Chris

MeDS

You can try this to see what the blue screens mean....might give you more insight? I haven't tried this software but it appears to be helpful. Maybe somebody else has experience with it?

BlueScreenView - blue screen of death (STOP error) information.
Thanks Pike!

I tried that on my PC and it seems to show more info then a BSOD provides. I shall try this later tonight and see what I come up with.

Feel free to provide any other tips/tricks.

MeDS

I reformatted and still get the issue while installing Windows. So from the search, it appears it is the memory or potentially BIOS related.

stoanee

At what point does your reformat stall at? I did an install the other day that kept stopping at "installing devices". I identified a bad stick of brand new ram, pulled it out and then the install went smoothly.

MeDS

that's exactly where it failed.

Should I:

A: Buy a new stick of RAM and try it and hope to hell it works.
B: Let a computer store look at it

P.S. If anyone is from Kitchener/Cambridge area and has a spare stick of DDR to borrow this would be awesome.

Twitter