What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

BSOD on New PC. SSD or CPU Issue?

geokilla

I helped my friend build a custom Skylake computer for him using the following parts: Intel Core i5-6600K, MSI GeForce GTX 960, Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker Canada

The PC boot up right away and I updated to the latest BIOS version for him. Everything proceeded as normal until I noticed that the CPU temperatures in the BIOS were around 45C to 50C. Thinking the readings were wrong, we tried to install Windows 7 and Windows 10 numerous times, only to get BSODs most of the time shortly after booting from DVD. Eventually we got Windows 7 installed but more BSODs promptly ensued. It'll easily BSOD within a minute or two of startup.

I first tried troubleshooting by making sure everything was plugged in properly. Then I tested the RAM by using just one DIMM stick at a time in DIMM slot 2 as instructed in the motherboard's owner's manual. Still getting BSODs. The GPU seems fine, and the hard drive is not connected to a SATA port. The DVD burner isn't connected to a SATA port anymore either. This leaves me to believe he either got a bad SSD, or we messed up the CPU when trying to install the Rocketfish (Cooler Master TX-3) cooler.

Could we have bent a CPU pin? Or picked up a bad SSD? Or maybe it's simply overheating? I had to use quite a bit of force to get the final push pin down into the slot, and even then I wonder if it's making good contact because the pins simply don't seem like they are fully extended into the back of the motherboard. I have tried plugging in my USB to run OCCT and Core Temp but Windows cannot detect the USB. It can however detect my USB in the BIOS and the keyboard and mouse :shok:

Daedalus2002

45-50C in the BIOS seems high. Start by reseating your cooler. Arguably you'll want a better cooler in the long term, but that's up to your friend (a 6600K seems an odd pairing with this cooler!) Troubleshoot with the min amount of hardware needed to boot, so use integrated GPU, no drives connected, etc.

Windows 7 most likely needs drivers to detect your USB hardware.

Bond007

Honestly sounds like a heatsink/heat issue to me. I would take the cooler off (might as well check the CPU pins while your at it), and re-seat it. Not the best cooler, but it should be more than enough at stock levels to slight OC levels. Reset default bios maybe as somethings else to try?

geokilla

45-50C in the BIOS seems high. Start by reseating your cooler. Arguably you'll want a better cooler in the long term, but that's up to your friend (a 6600K seems an odd pairing with this cooler!) Troubleshoot with the min amount of hardware needed to boot, so use integrated GPU, no drives connected, etc.

Windows 7 most likely needs drivers to detect your USB hardware.

Honestly sounds like a heatsink/heat issue to me. I would take the cooler off (might as well check the CPU pins while your at it), and re-seat it. Not the best cooler, but it should be more than enough at stock levels to slight OC levels. Reset default bios maybe as somethings else to try?

He doesn't plan to overclock yet and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is currently $40. The Rocketfish is $10. Gotta save money somehow!

I didn't know a CPU could boot with bent pins. Can it?

KaptCrunch

check that the shipping film is removed from cooler

is the OS DRIVE new or old install

MARSTG

The motherboard has usb 2.0 ports on the back make sure you use those for the win 7 install. Install the os on the hdd as well to rule out the ssd, but just with the hdd and odd connected, disconnect the ssd. Installing windows 10 should get rid of the blue screen if it is indeed the usb 3.0 drivers. And later you could create a usb key for win7 install with integrated usb 3.0 drivers (usb key install is faster than odd install).

geokilla

It was a defective CPU according to NCIX. My friend got them to install Windows 10 as well.

geokilla

Wow, the CPU was bunk!? That's pretty rare isn't it? Talk about losing the silicon lottery. Badly.
I'm not 100% sure on the details but from what I know, they swapped the motherboard and it was still no good. I'm fairly sure the RAM didn't get exchanged so the only thing left was the CPU. He waited a couple weeks for a new CPU and said it's pretty much been good ever since, minus a couple crashes here and there.

Latest posts