What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

BSOD while playing COD4 3 times in a row

zlojack

I am running a bunch of tests.

Last night I ran Memtest86+ with two stick in the white memory slots of my Maximus Formula and no errors.

With 2 DIMMs in and my usual overclock (9x400 400 strap 3.6 GHz 1.49v, Memory at 5-5-5-12 1066 on 2.14v) last night OCCT ran for 7 hours with no problems and decent temps.

This morning I left Prime95 running so we'll see how it went when I get home from work.

If it passes all these tests, then I'll put the other two sticks in and see how they do.

If they pass everything, then I'll try with all four again and see how it does.

tzetsin

Sounds like you need to drop all your overclocking and check the game again, if it all works well and no more bsod, you can assume the problem isnt the game or drivers, but your overclock itself, i read somewhere on this site, though i cant find it now, that problems with your power supply (though i see that you do have good psu) can cause degridation of parts of your computer over a period of time. This in turn can cause these parts to loose the amount of overclock that they can handle, to the point where past stable clock speeds are no longer stable. To test this, as charlie3.0 pointed out all you have to do is overclock your computer as if its never been done before, finding your "new" stable clock speed. (I would tell you more about this "psu problem" but i cant find the damn artical for the life of me now, its somewhere on this site, and has to do with how the reviewers test power supplies that they are reviewing. if someone can find that again put up a link. i'll keep looking for it too and post it if i find it)

zlojack

Thanks! If you or anyone else finds it, I would love to read it.

I can't imagine things degrading this fast after just over a month of overclocking. I have run it all day today on Prime95 with that overclock and it's still going strong.

I only run the overclock profile for gaming, but it's been rock solid with good temps which is why I used it...

And that PSU is supposed to be a good one.

Anyway, I'll be running more test tonight and see what happens over the weekend.

It could be that it's not even the memory or the overclock but the GPU having issues with COD4. I am just basing my theory on the fact that the only change I had made was in RAM voltage.

Anyway, after testing the sticks two at a time I will test all four together and see what they do. Pretty much every component of my system is designed to o/c and has been doing a damn fine job of it so far!:biggrin:

tzetsin

Just so we're all clear, have you played cod4 with stock clocks? If after testing with prime95 everything is all good, and the game plays fine at stock speeds, the next logical place to try is your vid card oc, start overclocking that like its brand new again, could be that though its stable at most everything else, cod4 is doing something just different enough to bsod the unit. im not sure what the average mem overclock on a gtx is, but 2000 would bsod my gts as fast as it took to press apply.

zlojack

Just so we're all clear, have you played cod4 with stock clocks? If after testing with prime95 everything is all good, and the game plays fine at stock speeds, the next logical place to try is your vid card oc, start overclocking that like its brand new again, could be that though its stable at most everything else, cod4 is doing something just different enough to bsod the unit. im not sure what the average mem overclock on a gtx is, but 2000 would bsod my gts as fast as it took to press apply.
:haha:

Nah, the card's stock is 1900 (I think :doh:), so it gets to 2000 pretty easy. And when this stuff was happening the other night, the card was at stock.

I the game played perfectly on the overclock for 3 weeks then this just happened. I'd had BSODs in the past from overclocking the GPU too much, but I found a stable oc for the card and it was fine. Even so, I wasn't using it that night.

Anyway, I think the best thing to do is what you say: keep testing for system stability and then go from there.

Another funny thing I noticed is when I loaded it up at stock clocks, it seemed to be stuck at 57-60 FPS, whereas pre BSOD I was getting anywhere from 90-125. I had set max frames to 125 in the in-game console.

Strange. Maybe I should re-install the game too.

tzetsin

certainly wont hurt. taking as much out of the equasion when trying to diagnose problems makes things aloooot easier. What kind of temperature testing software are you using? Core temp is the only software that i found would display my temp accurately, usually 15ish degrees more than any other temp software. This is a problem with all the Q6600s. Even with the Zalman 9500 the temps at full load at 3.6 and vcore over 1.4 were upper 70s lower 80s with core temp, (around 65 with other software)

zlojack

I use Core Temp to monitor my temps, but when running OCCT I have to use Everest because, for whatever reason (probably Core Temps 64-bit issues), OCCT doesn't detect it.

I get about 28 C degrees regular clocks, 38 C overclocked (3.6 GHz) on idle and 45 C stock 65-70 C o/c load.

zlojack

Ok so the torture test on Prime95 ran 10 hours 40 minutes with no errors.

Now to run Memtest on the overclocked memory.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
you two have very high load temps - 65C+, even lower 80s!!!. This can be a serious cause of instability. Both my Quads are under water and I would never let the temps reach 65C.

Coretemp shows the correct temps; they are not 15C higher. It's the other softwares that are showing 15C lower...

Empty_Quarter

Hrm, I am having the same problem here!

My overclock is also @ 3.6GHz, 13hrs stable, idle 28, load 59, 1.45V on water. Temps using coretemp

It murders crysis and every other demanding game I can think off, but just simply crashes on COD4, I get the same BSOD.

EDIT: I changed my memory from the XP2 to the mushkin HP2 currently running at stock, will update siggy soon.

Last edited:
Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter