What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Buddy's computer Wireless internet isn't that great.

ShinraCorp

Hey everyone,

So I built a PC for my friend and well his internet isn't that great in general (5 Mbps) the computer that I built him somehow isn't getting 5 Mbps, it's only getting like 1 or less.

I've tried testing it with my phone, and his phone. We both got 5 Mbps at the same room where his PC is. So I thought the Wi-Fi card wasn't working properly, latest drivers have been installed. However for fun I decided to go to Safe Mode with Networking, surprisingly the Wi-Fi works great in Safe mode but in normal mode it fluctuates way to much. Sometimes his downloads will be 300 kbps sometimes 2 Mbps. Heck we even plugged it directly to the router and it still fluctuates.

So there's something within Windows that's causing this problem, however I am not sure what it is, I don't want to reformat his hard drive just to fix something as simple as that. There's absolutely nothing installed besides drivers, Origin, Battle.net, Steam and MS Security Essentials so I'm not entirely sure what to do.

MacJunky

If it works in safe mode, perhaps try turning off power conservation for the wifi&ethernet? Desktops have power profiles too, have you played with those.
Just a shot in the dark.

Skyllz

If it works in safe mode, perhaps try turning off power conservation for the wifi&ethernet? Desktops have power profiles too, have you played with those.
Just a shot in the dark.
This.

Then make sure he has no anti-virus, torrents, the usual bandiwth hoggers or blockers.

ShinraCorp

Dying router.
Nope because he also plugged it to the modem and the same thing happened. During the first few minutes (2-3 minutes) it runs at full speed but then degrades after. So perhaps it's a combination of software and hardware problems... I wish I had a spare router or Wifi adapter to test it out but I don't.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Really - wired, and wireless have the same low performance? If the router is dying, it won't give you the speeds either way... anyway. That would be my take from troubleshooting from the 'net.

Latest posts

Twitter