What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Budget cell phone

Prickly007

As I'll be doing a lot more driving, on less populated roads, post-move, among other reasons, it's time I get my first cell phone.

Looking for something pretty basic, but still a smart phone. I am planning on a non-contract plan (no real preference on provider), so... a Motorola Moto G6 Play? It's $200 at Costco. Budget could maybe be stretched as high as an iPhone 6s.

I've done a little research, but am 1) out of depth and 2) don't have a lot of time; moving day is fast approaching. :eek:

Any other phones worth considering?

Edit: Not interested in used.

ZZLEE

Bell has the widest coverage in eastern Canada.. I don't know much about phones. in eatern Canada.

Mr. Friendly

the Moto G is a good phone...don't get an iPhone 6S, they're EoL and get no more iOS updates since 12.

I'm curious about the new Moto Android One phone they launched internationally but not in NA. it's running a Lite version of Android so it can run fast on lower end hardware, which also means it'll be more affordable.

Prickly007

don't get an iPhone 6S, they're EoL and get no more iOS updates since 12.
Whatever phone I buy will be EoL at some point. The only time I'll be upgrading is if the screen breaks or can no longer make calls.

From the lack of other replies, it would seem there aren't many alternatives to the Moto G6. I take it the budget catagory isn't a large one in Canada.

moocow

I picked up a Samsung J7 from B&H because of Freedom Mobile's then new Band 66 LTE. Unfortunately, that didn't help my connection issue (edge of service area). Personal problem with it aside, it's an okay device but I notice it's pretty slow now with the latest update. I had a Moto G from Amazon before and it served its purpose. At the budget bracket, it's hard to beat the Moto G line of phones.

chrisk

Folding Captain
Where are you located? If you are in Toronto area Swiftronics has a lot of out of market stuff that can be had in the $200 range. The Xiaomi Mi A2 is still getting updates.

Cannon Fodder

, so... a Motorola Moto G6 Play? It's $200 at Costco. Budget
Since you posted that, out of curiosity, I checked out the Costco site, and there seem to be a considerable number of negative reviews on that phone, most of which seem to be about it being "sluggish". Hard to tell if people were expecting too much out of a "budget" phone, or if, given the price, that's the kind of thing you should expect...... :unsure:

Prickly007

Hard to tell if people were expecting too much out of a "budget" phone, or if, given the price, that's the kind of thing you should expect...... :unsure:
Also how much faith does one put in Costco reviewers (when Tech sites seem pretty happy with the phone)? That said, the G7 is available for (as I recall) $250.

I think I'll be buying either the G6 or G7, still need to look into those two models in more detail.

Thanks everyone (for not complicating things by suggesting more models). :D

sswilson

Staff member
I'm not a cell phone tech guru, but I'd personally draw the line at anything under 3GB of memory. Out of recent locally purchasable phones I'd be looking at a Samsung A50 but that's double the price of the moto.

If you'd consider ordering one from overseas you might want to keep an eye on this thread for something that interests you...

Latest posts

Twitter