What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Budget cell phone

dragoonxx

bumping this up, my moto g5+ battery is... not in good shape anymore. I've been looking at the Oneplus Nord N10 5g as one contender, anyone have any other suggestions to look at (i'm on koodo)
I really like the size of my g5+, but as is always the case- everyone keeps going bigger, bigger bigger, i'm also very partial to stock/stock-like android experiences (always frustrated whenever i've tried doing something on family members samsung/LG phones), and a dedicated sd slot is high on a "would like"

JD

Staff member
Koodo might have some deals too, looks like they're giving $100 off ($10 for 10 months) on most phones. As an example, the Pixel 4a would come out to $380 total over 2yr on Tab Basic, or $140 on Tab Mid/Plus.

Cannon Fodder

Hmmm, I'd forgotten about this thread..... as it turns out, due to ongoing battery issues with my old phone, I ended up getting(June of last year) the same phone as the OP, i.e. the Motorola G7 Play, at $50 off the regular price(which made it $155), at Costco, and have been quite pleased with it. The battery lasts me about 3 days between charges(yeah, I'm definitely NOT a power user ;)), it's reasonably snappy, got updated almost immediately to Android 10, and has received several updates since, AND has a screen < 6", which allows it to fit better in pockets.

It's no longer available anymore, but based on my experience with this phone, I wouldn't hesitate to look at current models of Moto phones. (y)

Mr. Friendly

the prices are likely to be somewhat higher than the previous generation...but the mid-range A52 5G and A72 5G are going to be solid! I want the A72 5G...but only the non 5G has been announced. Samsung.ca shows the A52 5G. no price listed, just a button saying 'coming soon'.

Shadowmeph

Hmmm, I'd forgotten about this thread..... as it turns out, due to ongoing battery issues with my old phone, I ended up getting(June of last year) the same phone as the OP, i.e. the Motorola G7 Play, at $50 off the regular price(which made it $155), at Costco, and have been quite pleased with it. The battery lasts me about 3 days between charges(yeah, I'm definitely NOT a power user ;)), it's reasonably snappy, got updated almost immediately to Android 10, and has received several updates since, AND has a screen < 6", which allows it to fit better in pockets.

It's no longer available anymore, but based on my experience with this phone, I wouldn't hesitate to look at current models of Moto phones. (y)
I still have my old Samsung core ( bought it over 6 years ago) it was having battery issues so I bought a new battery 2 years ago and no more battery issues I dont live on my phone though, it is just mostly work texting and normal calls I think phone are way over priced probably 300% overpriced

dragoonxx

I still have my old Samsung core ( bought it over 6 years ago) it was having battery issues so I bought a new battery 2 years ago and no more battery issues I dont live on my phone though, it is just mostly work texting and normal calls I think phone are way over priced probably 300% overpriced
yeah, that's why i stick to the "budget" phones, less overpriced. but yeah, two main gripes i'm having with my g5+ - battery is... not lasting, and its got some stuttering issues/way too light on ram (2GB is not nearly enough these days!)

Cannon Fodder

Yeah, my Samsung S3's battery issues were something other than the battery itself - I got a replacement battery for it, and then a 2nd one when the 1st didn't solve the issue, and neither one fixed it, nor did any of the suggestions from the seller of those batteries :(, so I gave up on it, and bought a new phone.

Valkyrie

Chilliwack...Time Is Just A Rubber Band....
bumping this up, my moto g5+ battery is... not in good shape anymore. I've been looking at the Oneplus Nord N10 5g as one contender, anyone have any other suggestions to look at (i'm on koodo)
I really like the size of my g5+, but as is always the case- everyone keeps going bigger, bigger bigger, i'm also very partial to stock/stock-like android experiences (always frustrated whenever i've tried doing something on family members samsung/LG phones), and a dedicated sd slot is high on a "would like"

Maybe this https://www.costco.ca/motorola-moto-g-power-unlocked-smartphone.product.100673567.html

(Edit: Now reduced to $249.99 until the end of March).

They have a less expensive option, but with 3GB RAM, half the storage and no mention of SD port.

Last edited: