What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Budget Subwoofer amp

lowfat

Staff member
Have had an old Padadigm SB-90 subwoofer unused for close to 20 years. Don't have neighbours any more so I thought I'd hook it up again. Problem is, its passive. I'm driving it off my NAD D 3020. Has a few issues tho. I have no control over sub volume. It is a getting a whopping 60 WRMS. It's low pass filter has a very shallow roll off, maybe 6dB.

So I'm looking at some budget amplifiers for it. ~150WRMS @ 4ohm and an active low pass filter are required. IR for a remote would be really beneficial, but not required. Prefer Class D.

Not having a lot of luck looking. Found this 'Fosi Audio'. Never heard of them tho. Anyone used anything from them? https://www.amazon.ca/Subwoofer-Aud...3DQHYF4XTAJ&psc=1&refRID=B558QA4G73DQHYF4XTAJ

I'd even be ok w/ a DIY kit. But unfortunately haven't found any boards that have an adjustable low pass filter.

JD

Staff member
Why not one of those plate amplifiers and cut the hole bigger in the sub to fit it inside? Or you're not wanting to cut/modify the sub?

lowfat

Staff member
Why not one of those plate amplifiers and cut the hole bigger in the sub to fit it inside? Or you're not wanting to cut/modify the sub?
I don't want to modify the volume of the box as that will affect sound output. Especially since I believe this is a 6th order band-pass enclosure. They need to be pretty precise in volume / port size.

lowfat

Staff member
Got the amp today. Shipped from USA, shipped in just the manufacturers box. Next to no packing and it wasn't even tapped shut. :cautious:

However everything was in the box. Ghetto rigged it up now to test and what a massive improvement. Tomorrow I'll get it hooked up to Home Assistant so it will turn on / off automatically when the NAD D 3020 turns on.

Latest posts