What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Bug in Windows 10’s Latest Update Might Be Deleting Files, Back Up Your Data Now

mGz

Didn't know where else to post this but thought it was necessary to spread the word. Awareness is key after all :ph34r:

Multiple Windows users are reporting the latest update is deleting documents. Consider backing up your data right now. The Windows 10 October 2018 update is rolling out right now, but some users are reporting serious problems. Kevin Quitero reported losing documents on Twitter (via MS Power user). There’s also a Reddit thread full of users complaining about the issue. Here’s redditor sophormoon:
Prior to the 1809 update I had over fifteen-thousand photos in a particular folder. After the 1809 update the same folder exists with exactly ONE photo left. I have backups of the individual photos, but that folder contained a specially curated set that will take months to recreate if it’s even possible.
Stories like this are adding up, and they’re a cautionary tale. We can’t independently confirm that this bug is real at this time—none of our machines have been affected—but we’re seeing enough chatter to take this seriously.
RELATED: How to Use Windows’ File History to Back Up Your Data
Our main advice: back up your documents before updating any operating system, ideally locally. Windows’ File History is a good local option on the PC, and there are other backup options out there. There is always a chance of losing data during an OS update—that’s true for PCs, Macs, and all phones.
That doesn’t make this bug acceptable. It isn’t. Microsoft needs to fix this ASAP, especially if they’re going to push updates so aggressively. But backing up is a great way to protect yourself from losing data, so make sure you’re doing that regardless.

Source - https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/bug-i...ight-be-deleting-files-back-up-your-data-now/

Latest posts