What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Build help - $300-400 to upgrade

Kayen

Hey guys, used to be active here a number of years ago when i was still in high school, well now i'm pretty much done University (i'm doing a semester abroad in South Korea at the moment), so when i'm planning to go home i'm planning to take my desktop back from my little brother, and give him my Macbook since he's entering high school...

What i've got right now...
CPU: Phenom X4 955
Cooler: CM Hyper 212+
Mobo: ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3
Ram: G-Skill Ripjaws 1600mhz 2x2gb
Case: CM690II
PSU: CM 460W
Monitor: BenQ 27" 1920x1080.
SSD: Crucial M4 128gb
HDD: WD Blue 500gb

Using integrated GPU as old GTS250 kept overheating. Friend gave me an old HD4770 or 5770 (I forget, it's collecting dust somewhere).

Haven't used this desktop as i gave it to my brother and i've been using my macbook for school, however seeing as how i'm finished school soon, i'm going to swap machines with him - and consequently upgrading it.

I only do mild gaming, nothing heavy. I mostly do light photo/video/music editing(and mixing), in addition to large amounts of media consumption.
I aim to eventually upgrade my monitor to a 4k TV around the 40" range, but i'm holding off on that until HDMI 2.0 hits so we can get 60Hz going (which is why i wouldn't get one of those seikis everyone is seeming to use right now). Would also be using current 27" monitor as a side monitor as well.

So i'm curious how would I go about upgrading this?
Budget would be roughly around $300-400 - peripherals not included.

Shadowmeph

I don't know , personally I doubt very much the 4kTV or anything of the like is going to be coming they barely have 1080p that is any good. I think that it will be more of a fad then anything . but like I said that is just my opinion.
I would save your money and see what happens because there is a lack of any 4ktv content out there.

MARSTG

I am not sure it would be worth to upgrade that, for the use you intend for it. You already have very good cooling, so some overclocing would be in order, adding another 4 GB of RAM would be nice. If you don't game that much, the Radeon HD 4k/5k should suffice.

Kayen

I'm not grabbing a 4k display to take advantage of 4k content, as I'm not a stickler for pixel density of how clear my content is most of the time anyways.
My primary concern is just being able to take advantage of a high resolution so as to fit more onto my screen, and have lots of things open at once (which - i might just only use the large screen).

More ram is a good idea, and i figure I should learn how to OC as it is. I'm running 2 slim 140mm fans on the side panel of my case, 2 140's up top, and 2 120mm's on intake on the front in addition to the rear 120mm - pretty good ventilation throughout the case.

Dzzope

Yea, had a CM690, decent for their price.
Nout really to say that hasn't been said.
Stick with the 4770/5770, Bump the ram to at least 8GB if not 16. Drop in an ssd and oc that thing.
Then worry about the high res stuff when you find a monitor you want and can afford (+ whatever gpu to drive it)

One thing that does worry me is the cm460w PSU, which I'm guessing you've had for a while and which I'm guessing is one of their older "budget gaming" or similar PSU's, which were frankly rubbish. I think that maight be the weak-point in your build and why it was unstable at load

/edit
Just saw you have an ssd :D

Kayen

Yea, had a CM690, decent for their price.
Nout really to say that hasn't been said.
Stick with the 4770/5770, Bump the ram to at least 8GB if not 16. Drop in an ssd and oc that thing.
Then worry about the high res stuff when you find a monitor you want and can afford (+ whatever gpu to drive it)

One thing that does worry me is the cm460w PSU, which I'm guessing you've had for a while and which I'm guessing is one of their older "budget gaming" or similar PSU's, which were frankly rubbish. I think that maight be the weak-point in your build and why it was unstable at load

/edit
Just saw you have an ssd :D

Yup! Was just about to comment on that I had an SSD. I messaged my brother back home to go find the video card, and as it turns out, it is indeed an HD5770.
Also regarding the power supply- that's the main reason why I never tried to OC as I was always worried about that one. My seasonic had issues, and at the time I was broke and 16, and I needed a power supply to just work - so my buddy had it laying there so I called dibs on it.

Also with 8gb of RAM, could I add a 2x4gb kit on top of my 2x2kit for say 12gb of RAM? or should I not.
I'm a bit rusty with computer building knowledge.

Thanks again guys.

Dzzope

As long as the ram is matching speeds and timings I see no reason not to.. but then maybe sell and just get a 2x4 and call it there. Worth a try if your getting 2x4 anyway, just make sure it's still running dual channel and not causing instability. Might be worth a 2x8 for your productive work... not sure of the pricing these days but ram usually helps editing.

Kayen

Going to Necro-bump this thread. My student loans are paid off, and as it is, taking on a more stable job has given me a bit more time to game on my computer.
Mainly MMO's, nothing super taxing on current build, but I have settings minimized a fair bit...

Worth it to just throw new RAM/PSU/Video Card? Or just go for a whole new build altogether.

EDIT: The video card is a Sapphire HD5770.

Bond007

The reality is the whole platform is aged.

What kind of budget? You still want to game at 4K with high settings, or you will accept reduced quality/resolution?

At a minimum add 4gb ram, new PSU and GPU.

If you have more $ than that I would add an SSD.

But really, if the funds are available I would just sell the whole tower and start from scratch. Latest rumour is of new GPUs starting around June time frame, so I would hold out for that, or pick something up used.

Its your call how far you want to go and what you want to spend.

Kayen

Budget will be a bit increased over what was posted.
I'll be gaming at 1080P, and willing to take some compromises.

If I were start up a new tower - should I be looking at a Skylake build?
You are correct my platform is pretty aged, and well ... even AMD's newest offerings right now seem like a mild-at-best upgrade over my current setup.