What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Building a Budget AMD Gaming Rig

D

da_bradler

get a gtx460 768mb for like ten dollars more, there are plenty available at 120-140$ don't get a 6850

crunchbite

This is my final revision for this build. From the looks of everything this would be a solid gaming machine for about $650. I switched out the 500w Thermaltake for the 600w Rosewill and the Gigabyte mobo for an Asrock mobo. I kept the 6870 in there because the performance in DX11 games look to be better overall then the GTX460.

Building a gaming rig doesn't have to cost you an arm and a leg. In this article I'm going to give you a list of current parts for under $600 before tax...

Processor - AMD Athlon II X3 3.2GHz Tri Core - $80
Motherboard - Asrock 880GMH/USB3 AM3 ATX - $80
RAM - 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 - $45
Graphics Card - HIS Radeon 6870 1Gb - $220
Hard Drive - 1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ - $60
Case - XCLIO Godspeed - $40
Power Supply - Rosewill V2-600w ATX12v v2.3 - $50
Optical Drive - LG GH24NS50 24x DVD RW Drive - $20

Subtotal = $595
Total (After tax 13%)= $672

These prices were taken from multiple online stores and averaged. The prices for these components were their normal retail price, not a sale price.
So it is possible that you could build this machine for much cheaper then the listed price here.

SneakySnake

Very nice build for the price. Good choice on the 6870, it definitely beats the 460, the 460 is competing with the 6850

D

da_bradler

I dunno man, you'll regret not spending that extra fourty bucks on a phenom II x4. you can always reduce graphics setting but your screwed if the CPU bottlenecks.

don't expect bad company 2 f1 2010 or Total war series to run fantastic. I love those games and my amd quad is still causing frame drops. otherwise probably be balling.

Stock

the expense of your rig will increase proportionally to the length of this thread

draemn

This is my final revision for this build. From the looks of everything this would be a solid gaming machine for about $650. I switched out the 500w Thermaltake for the 600w Rosewill and the Gigabyte mobo for an Asrock mobo. I kept the 6870 in there because the performance in DX11 games look to be better overall then the GTX460.

Processor - AMD Athlon II X3 3.2GHz Tri Core - $80
Motherboard - Asrock 880GMH/USB3 AM3 ATX - $80
RAM - 4Gb G.Skill Ripjaw DDR3 1333 - $45
Graphics Card - HIS Radeon 6870 1Gb - $220
Hard Drive - 1Tb Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ - $60
Case - XCLIO Godspeed - $40
Power Supply - Rosewill V2-600w ATX12v v2.3 - $50
Optical Drive - LG GH24NS50 24x DVD RW Drive - $20
If you can get the budget get a Phenom II as they have L3 cache which will help with gaming
6870 can be had on sale for less than $220 if you look around. Put that towards a phenom II?
Rosewill is a crappy brand that I have heard bad things about... stay away from their PSU

snoosebum

If you can get the budget get a Phenom II as they have L3 cache which will help with gaming
6870 can be had on sale for less than $220 if you look around. Put that towards a phenom II?
Rosewill is a crappy brand that I have heard bad things about... stay away from their PSU

What he said. Even if its a dual core phenom II. The majority of them unlock into quads anyway, and unlocked it will roast the athlon. If it doesnt unlock I dont think theres going to be much difference anyway.

Wurmer

What he said. Even if its a dual core phenom II. The majority of them unlock into quads anyway, and unlocked it will roast the athlon. If it doesnt unlock I dont think theres going to be much difference anyway.

Unlocking is an uncertain thing and I feel that when your on a budget, you better be safe than sorry. I took the chance and got lucky but I had some provisions in my basket just in case it didn't unlock.

_dangtx_

Banned
spending 100 bucks for 'maybe it will unlock' is not exactly smart :)

spend 20 more for a flully fledged phenom II quad with l3 then.

but it starts getting out of hand

why not go i3 clarkdale(with ht of course) and a cheap mobo?

better per thread performance, monster clocks

Latest posts