What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Building a low powered Android PC with touchscreen monitor

justmehereajax

I want to build a simple low powered intel "atom-like" based android x86 os pc for the kitchen
I can build the PC with some itx all in one I think ... hopefully compatible with Android X86.
Right?

Looking to get a touchscreen like 10"... any recommendations compatibile with Andriod x86.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
TBH hardware level support for Android is something uncommon at best. Is there some reason you specifically want a PC? Why not something like an Amazon fire tablet and a solid tablet stand to hold it up?

Mr. Friendly

I want to build a simple low powered intel "atom-like" based android x86 os pc for the kitchen
I can build the PC with some itx all in one I think ... hopefully compatible with Android X86.
Right?

Looking to get a touchscreen like 10"... any recommendations compatibile with Andriod x86.
you'd do better to go with something running the Chromium OS that's got the Play Store supported. there are really cheap 2-in-1's that would give you a touch interface too.

moocow

At the moment, Android X86 is using Linux kernel 4.19.80 (I think). My Goodix based touchscreen works out of the box. I'm using it on my Chinese Win10 tablet but the hardware support is a bit hit and miss. The main problem is the Realtek drivers that came with the Linux kernel. In addition, the Cherrytrail device doesn't sleep correctly. I'm in the middle of checking out Android 9 at the moment to see if there are any improvements. Graphics wise, don't expect too much from it. It does have i915 Intel driver to support the iGPU but if you try to use any of the Nvidia stuff or newer AMD graphics, you are out of luck.

Personally, unless you have hardware lying around, I don't think it would be cost effective to build an Android-X86 machine. As for the Play Store, there is a way to add OpenGAPP at compile time. However, the X86 bridge doesn't work all the time and some of the apps will crash.

justmehereajax

which tablettop has the ability to support android apps ... I mean I want to install a security camera app IP Cam Viewer Pro
From talking... i heard amazon echo does allow normal apps?

My previous tablet for the kitchen kicked the bucket.. irreplaceable battery some shit kobo reader 7inch that costed me $150+ .
so I was thinking build one android PC so it last 10+ years or forever

Izerous

Android tv box and touch screen monitor is going to cost a whole lot more than that and hardware won't be upgradeable.

Kindle fire 7in black Friday deals at $50 and sideload the Google store. At that price is hard to build anything comparable.

Latest posts

Twitter