What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Building new gaming rig and need some recommendations what to look for

Kimmy187

Hallo, I am planning to build a new gaming rig which I do every 5 years.

The last rig I built had some motherboard issues so I wanted to avoid this and get some information on what to buy.

The rig is mainly for gaming.

The price range I am looking at is between R35000 and R50000. Rand (South Africa)

I am not focused on one brand but I found Samsung SSD tech to be really good.
I am also unsure if Radeon new cards will match Nvidia but would like some feedback regarding this

I always build a completely new rig so no old parts will be used.

I looked at other post but thought is would be more effective to get all the recommendation in one thread and to voice the information which I currently need feedback on like the Motherboards chipsets.

I don't have any experience in overclocking so that option can be ignored.

The stock is very limited during this time of year so I am looking for Jan 2021 to March 2021 depending on stock and if the customs cost is still crazy high for the GFX cards.

I always try to tweak my game settings to get high FPS and clear view for games like Tarkov since if you miss something moving you are dead and I also believe it is time for a screen size upgrade.

I want to try the a water cooling system and NAND SSD.

The reason I want to ask for input regarding this pc build is because I am not up to date with technology currently and with the release of the new chipsets and GFX I dont want to get the wrong hardware.

I want to ask how is motherboards tested and how is a motherboard rated for example the CPU has the beanchmarks but I dont know how motherboards is tested and how compatibility with the CPU and GFX is tested.

New build recommendation

PC Case - Needs to fit new GFX and water cooling
RAM 32 GB RAM - Dont know what RAM is currently good
CPU - Currently looking at the new Ryzen 5000 series Ryzen 7
SSD - Samsung NAND SSD for the OS with a backup 500 GB SSD and 1-3 TB HDD for storage.
Water cooling - I have no experience with this so need any recommendation.
PSU - 1000 or 1600 depending on the requirements of the build but would appreciate a manufacture recommendation since I am not sure which is good currently.
Monitor - I want to get a 27 inch monitor and some people have recommended ROG screens.
Motherboard - I currently use a MSI motherboard and currently have no issues with this manufacturer so would like to stay with their boards.
Not a big fan of the light show some rigs have so would keep that on the side if there is space in the budget.

Can you recommend a build currently and assist with the motherboard information where I can read up on what to look for?

Then if there is new boards on the way which to keep my eye on.

Thank you in advance.

clshades

Check out some of the reviews by Gamer Nexus and HWC. Nexus breaks things down really well imo. Can't remember which AIO they recommend but it's a good one.

moocow

Partial build below, excluding PSU, GPU, monitor, and cooling. Some comments:
  • Why 32GB of RAM if you're just gaming? 16GB is enough. I use 32GB because I use virtual machine once in awhile to compile code.
  • 1000W is overkill, 750W should be enough.
  • Check Gamers Nexus for watercooler review, also recommend Hardware Unbox as well. Kraken Z63 seem to have good reviews.
  • I personally don't want to deal with Samsung because of the warranty hassle in Canada. I would lean more toward WD Black SN750 or Blue SN550 on a budget.

1605635277555.png

draemn

Personally, I don't suggest water cooling. It's extra work/hassle and maintenance unless you're strictly speaking AoI CPU cooler, which won't provide you any benefit other than looks (you don't want to overclock).

As for motherboards, sometimes they just end up with problems and then it's about if you have warranty coverage or not. Yes, there are some real poor quality motherboards that can be big issues, but even a good quality board can end up having issues if you're unlucky.

Kimmy187

Partial build below, excluding PSU, GPU, monitor, and cooling. Some comments:
  • Why 32GB of RAM if you're just gaming? 16GB is enough. I use 32GB because I use virtual machine once in awhile to compile code.
  • 1000W is overkill, 750W should be enough.
  • Check Gamers Nexus for watercooler review, also recommend Hardware Unbox as well. Kraken Z63 seem to have good reviews.
  • I personally don't want to deal with Samsung because of the warranty hassle in Canada. I would lean more toward WD Black SN750 or Blue SN550 on a budget.

View attachment 29987
I wanted 32 GB of RAM because my current rig is struggling with 16 GB and for this new rig to run for 5 year I thought why not just get the 32 GB incase it is needed. I will look at the your recommendations thank you very much. The 1000 was because I saw reviews of the 3080 having power spikes that can shut down your machine but was also compensating for the water cooling if it needed more power since I do not have any experience with its requirements.

Kimmy187

Hallo, I am still tweaking my build while waiting for the 3080 to be available. The current 3080 in this build is just a place holder until other becaomes available. I was looking into Phanteks cases also because I am not 100% sold on the case yet.

Anybody got recommendation on this build that you would change?

Attachments

• New pc.JPG
    New pc.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 4

GeezerGamer

For a case I couldn't be more impressed with the Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL!
The 3080 is a heck of a GPU but with current editions having only 10 Gb of video RAM I'd be concerned if it'll suffice at your 5 year rebuild cycle?
Should you wait for the 3080Ti..........?
A link below for your consideration.....

Last edited:

Kimmy187

Thank you for the reply. I will look into your case recommendation.
I added the quantity to the picture because the 32 GB (4 X 8GB) is what I am going for and 2 MVE drives for OS and games.
Then there is currently no stock of any card so I think by the time there is a 3080 Ti that the 4000 range of Nvidia will be releasing at the rate the cards is out of stock since OCT.

Attachments

• New pc.JPG
    New pc.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 0

mGz

For a case I couldn't be more impressed with the Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL!
The 3080 is a heck of a GPU but with current editions having only 10 Gb of video RAM I'd be concerned if it'll suffice at your 5 year rebuild cycle?
Should you wait for the 3080Ti..........?
A link below for your consideration.....

I'd second the LL D011 Dynamic XL if it weren't for the fact that everybody and their mothers has one (that's what it seems like after browsing PCMR on reddit). It's a great case if you're planning on a custom loop - otherwise it looks odd. LL not including any fans is a turn-off and quickly adds to the cost. With all that space inside the case you'll need 7 120mm fans for optimal airflow (anything less and you'll be starving your components of adequate cooling).

There's better alternatives if one isn't doing a custom loop. The coolermaster h500m and lian li lancool 2 mesh come to mind.

Latest posts

Twitter