What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Built a wireless router from pc parts

justmehereajax

I would like to build this to use as an access point really. Over the years I been buying routers and use them as access points. Spent hundreds of dollars and they eventually die. I have some streaming security cameras that run 24/7. So eventually the radios die I guess.

So I would just like to buy a wifi card and have the option to upgrade it if it dies or is too slow. adopt new standards.

Seems reasonably practical right?

Entz

Its an interesting concept. Last time I tried was to put wireless AP functionality onto a pfSense box and the drivers were an absolutely nightmare. AP mode completely unstable and I abandoned it. It was a lot of work to save a few $ when I could just get a proper dedicated AP from a Mikrotik (or Ubiquity or Merek or whatever)

That is a good guide and it looks like linux has come a long ways but still requires a bunch of tweaking. At least it has instructions on how you have to modify the kernel to get it work in North America.

I stopped buying routers years ago and only upgrade APs as technology changes. Then its as simple as plug one in, change the settings, and on you go. Want to add mesh, no problem. Want to move it 500 feet from your Fibre ONT, no problem.

justmehereajax

I want to put on Access Point in the center of the house that everyone can use. Just one that will be in constant use. So I think this is logical step to build one.

We in lockdown so I may as well build this for fun