What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

built my pc but only the mb works..

nwa4life

sup. nwa4life here, i just finished building my pc. i found out how to add the extension on my power supply so i managed to plug in 2 8 pins into the mb. sadly when i went to turn it on only the mb showed lights. my gpu and the cpu fan didnt turn on... i plugged them both in fine and it doesnt work. only problems i had was with the hd power connector and the dvd power connector.. coz they were a bit loose. i will rechk all my connections but they really should all be fine. i however didnt add the fans because i want to see the picture before i bother with it. the previous pc i built with my friend worked but only prob was the os. its workin now but mine cant. :( so i need help really. i hate this pentium 4 lol.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Whoa.

Two 8 pins connectors for a P4? Would you mind taking a picture of your rig, and telling us the components?

nwa4life

Whoa.

Two 8 pins connectors for a P4? Would you mind taking a picture of your rig, and telling us the components?

gigabyte ud9, haf x case, xfx 850w, lg dvd 22x, 500mb, seagate, i7 960, kingstone ddr3 6gb (3 sticks of 2gb) 2000ghz and a saff 5970. the pentium 4 is my current computer that i stole from school. :)

_dangtx_

Banned
2992.jpg

how did you get the second 8 pin going, again? :)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Oh. I taught you were using 2 8-pin connectors on a P4 board... Dan, look top right on the picture and also from the spec sheet:

(1) ATX 12V/EPS12V 4+4-pin
(1) EPS12V 8-pin

Take everything out of case, add minimum parts (cpu, hsf, 1 stick of ram, gpu) and boot by jumping the motherboard front panel pins. Also double-check the ram slots, since some boards are very picky to boot without a stick in a particular slot.

nwa4life

ok.. ill take everythin out but the mb coz it took me ages to get it in. i had to get my friend just to get it in. ill try do that. i put the ram into the white slots. which is meant to be the 1 that u put the ram into rights? also i cant put it into the blue coz the cpu cooler (cm 212) blocks the slot. stupid ram cooler is SO TALL. in the pic its got 2 8 pins at the top where the blue heat sink is nearby the io.

anyway the pentium doesnt even have a 4 pin for the cpu power. WOW its so bad. this is why i call it a box and i dun even call it a pc. its only got a 20pin.

jay51

ok.. ill take everythin out but the mb coz it took me ages to get it in. i had to get my friend just to get it in. ill try do that. i put the ram into the white slots. which is meant to be the 1 that u put the ram into rights? also i cant put it into the blue coz the cpu cooler (cm 212) blocks the slot. stupid ram cooler is SO TALL. in the pic its got 2 8 pins at the top where the blue heat sink is nearby the io.

anyway the pentium doesnt even have a 4 pin for the cpu power. WOW its so bad. this is why i call it a box and i dun even call it a pc. its only got a 20pin.
maybe it's thhe board shorting to case...you should remove it just to be sure.:thumb:

nwa4life

well i just chked the connections again... i changed the 8 pin on the card to the pci exp since i thought that it should go in.. i thought only 1 was needed.. also i changed the 8 pin for the cpu.. so i think it should be fine... then i tested it turned on. yay. but it was a black screen. then i turn it off and take out the ram so that its single channel. then i turned it on and it went to the bios.. then after i restarted to add my second 1 for dual... then it didnt turn on.. i think it either got to hot but it was weird... then it cant get to the bios but it can turn on.. also the dvd drive doesnt work so i cant install windows 7.. so wat now???

KaptCrunch

the PSU/MB manufactors should change their way of thinking when comes to 12v power connections for MB and PCI-e 12v connectors on video

as it stands now their is no distinct connector on the 12v supplying those sockets

only difference is on MB pins are reversed of PCI-e polarity

this whats happens when not paying close attention on these connections,,,,easily mixed up

glad it worked out for you

Latest posts