What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Butchering an AIO.

danmitch1

Some of you may have read my recent posts, AIO vs custom loop and fan placement on a radiator. I think ive come to the conclusion that in order to achieve better cooling for my 9900k I will need a 360mm rad AIO.

I cant afford one right now and I also dont think I could sell my h100i V2 for more that 75$, so even if i did, it doesnt really put much of a dent towards a new AIO.

Im thinking of Frankenstein'ING my AIO.
Do you think If I bought a 360mm rad I could jury rig it onto my h100i ?
Im assuming I would need to replace the fluid to make up for the extra space and buy some fittings/clamps to get them married...

Would the stock pump be able to handle it?

Or I was also thinking of adding a reservoir to it .

Thoughts?

JD

Staff member
I don't think the AIO pump is very powerful and is likely designed around it's original configuration. You might be okay with a GPU block or something not very restrictive, but a 360 radiator is going to lower the flow rate quite a bit I'd think.

If you're looking for lower temps, delidding the CPU would show more gains.

mGz

De-lidding will void the warranty. Proceed with caution.

Bartacus

Might be time to ask Santa to start thinking about a custom loop. :D But in all seriousness, modding that AIO could leave you in a bad spot if it goes sideways. Time to start saving for that AIO I think.

Izerous

Folding Team
Radiators themselves are not actually very restrictive. Essentially a bunch of open channel inside and all the resistance is on the outside for the air (fins). The parts needed to frankenstein it all together however not worth it or the cost. Might as well buy the 360 or custom loop at that point.

danmitch1

Yeah, I dont want to delid my cpu thats for sure. That Fractal Design 360 AIO is friggen cheap! I wonder if I can find that deal closer to home.
I think ill start saving.
Thanks for the input.

Latest posts