What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Buy cpu at Haswell refresh release date?

fubar

I was wondering if anyone can offer some ideas and advice.

I'm indecisive, I know, but I thought I can wait if this is soon. They say it's in May? Next month, then, is the official release? I am mostly looking at certain processors or the discounts of current ones in stock.

I noticed an i5-4670K was on sale at $229 this weekend but it's now back up!

Maybe it's good that I wait?

I posted in another thread of what I want to do with the build. But, I'll summarize briefly.

I am building a mini-itx system (so, for e.g. SG05 with Asrock P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; } Z87E-ITX mobo). I'm not sure if I'll overclock. It depends what temps and noise is produced. I'm hoping to have the system somewhat silent or at least not too noisy. I also read that it's a possiblity to underclock/undervolt these chips so that would mean I can choose any of them? The 'K' give the most options and if I could find a similar deal ($225-ish)? I am kinda budgeting for $200-$250 for the cpu.

250GB SSD - $170, SFX PSU - $100, 8GB DDR3 (1.35v) - $80, mobo - $165,
$750 (approx.)

I'll buy the components periodically so there is no rush. I just want to snatch up any good deals especially if it's the cpu!

What do you think?
P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }Z87E-mITX

Bond007

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any refreshed "k" CPU coming out with this launch except for a potential pentium dual core that may be unlocked. If that is the case then I doubt you will see any larger sales on unlocked CPU then what there are now. If you are willing to get a locked CPU you may find some decent discounts on current models. If you are OK without the OC an i5 4570 usually has the best sales that I would buy.

Entilza

It's very hard to get a good deal on a CPU especially a K version.

The best deal I got was a locked 4670 for $205 back on black friday (For my boss's new rig)

I noticed the 4670K was on sale for 229 as well, I personally don't think it will ever get lower than that. Just look at pricing for 3570k now it's the same price as haswell..

sf101

Yes just look @ Ivy CPU prices still for a example of CPU prices holding high.

if your looking for sub 200$ then prob used is the best bet as CPU's are really hard to dmg.

fubar

So, you guys are saying I really missed a chance?!? :haha: Oh, crap! :doh:

lowfat

Staff member
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is any refreshed "k" CPU coming out with this launch except for a potential pentium dual core that may be unlocked. If that is the case then I doubt you will see any larger sales on unlocked CPU then what there are now. If you are willing to get a locked CPU you may find some decent discounts on current models. If you are OK without the OC an i5 4570 usually has the best sales that I would buy.

Pretty sure there will be unlocked 4 core Devils Canyon CPUs coming.

LarkStarr

I'd be very surprised if the better of the refreshed i5's cost south of around $250 up here, with the lower end rounding around maybe $200, but in that case, what are you waiting for? All the advantages of the refresh really wouldn't apply to you.

fishingfanatic

Hardware

I would consider getting something older, 3770k or a used cpu. better prices and there are some decent deals out there right now. I've seen a number of 4670 and 4770 out there recently

Again that is subject to location, in southern Ont there are always some interesting items out there.

Of course another option would be to get a cheaper cpu to start and grab a better 1 when the opportunity presents itself. You'll get some cash back selling the other and can save some extra cash for the purchase while waiting for a

deal.

Good luck!

FF
:biggrin:

Latest posts