What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Buying a budget 4K TV...

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Alright you two. Enough with the name calling. Take it to DM and slander each other over arbitrary garbage.

Next mean comment gets a time out in the corner.

Prickly007

I bought a TCL 6 series, but ended up with a TON of QC problems. I went through 3 of them before I ended up giving up on TCL.

Guess I'll scratch the 6 series off my short list, our car is so small returning TV would range somewhere between difficult and outright impossible... unless Costco accepts TVs in pieces. lol

Anyone that uses the term "butthurt" just can't be taken seriously anyways.

Weren't you the one that posted something about Pepperidge farm remembers just recently. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. ;)

mGz

Guess I'll scratch the 6 series off my short list, our car is so small returning TV would range somewhere between difficult and outright impossible... unless Costco accepts TVs in pieces. lol

Weren't you the one that posted something about Pepperidge farm remembers just recently. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones. ;)

Context is everything... And yeah, it's really not on the same level. You're barking up the wrong tree, mate.

Lpfan4ever

Alright you two. Enough with the name calling. Take it to DM and slander each other over arbitrary garbage.

Next mean comment gets a time out in the corner.
Poopy head! 😶

I have a TCL 55R613 and it's the first one I purchased. No QC issues on anything so far. For what it is, I'd say ignoring it cuts out a huge chunk of potential goodness.

Caldezar

I should be very clear here... I still think that (outside a crazy sale) TCL is the best value for a 4K TV on the market. To get a 65" TV with Roku built in (an amazing media player) and supporting HDR10+ and Dolby... all for $1000? You just won't find a better deal. And I was also really impressed with the image quality, color, etc. I just, unfortunately, was unlucky with banding and lighting QC issues. It might be worth it to wait for the 8 series (I incorrectly said 9 series earlier) to release and give it a try. Had I not found the sale at Costco, I probably would have opted to keep swapping out TV's until I landed a good one.

I will also note that buying through Amazon Prime was a great experience. For an object of that size and weight, you don't have to pack up the TV and send it back... they just send a pick up crew to your house to drop off the new one and take the old one away.

LG, Sony and Samsung are established companies. TCL and Hisense (I'm sure there's others), are all cheap generic brands.

I'm going to politely weigh in here and state that you're mistaking 'generic' for 'not sold en masse in North America'. Both of these companies are based out of China, and both are huge global market providers for TV's. They are massively popular in China, SE Asia, India, Europe and Australia. Just because they aren't marketed here in NA very much, doesn't make them 'generic'. And even without any marketing, they're growing at a crazy rate in the NA market, which should tell you something about their value.

mGz

I should be very clear here... I still think that (outside a crazy sale) TCL is the best value for a 4K TV on the market. To get a 65" TV with Roku built in (an amazing media player) and supporting HDR10+ and Dolby... all for $1000? You just won't find a better deal. And I was also really impressed with the image quality, color, etc. I just, unfortunately, was unlucky with banding and lighting QC issues. It might be worth it to wait for the 8 series (I incorrectly said 9 series earlier) to release and give it a try. Had I not found the sale at Costco, I probably would have opted to keep swapping out TV's until I landed a good one.

I will also note that buying through Amazon Prime was a great experience. For an object of that size and weight, you don't have to pack up the TV and send it back... they just send a pick up crew to your house to drop off the new one and take the old one away.

I'm going to politely weigh in here and state that you're mistaking 'generic' for 'not sold en masse in North America'. Both of these companies are based out of China, and both are huge global market providers for TV's. They are massively popular in China, SE Asia, India, Europe and Australia. Just because they aren't marketed here in NA very much, doesn't make them 'generic'. And even without any marketing, they're growing at a crazy rate in the NA market, which should tell you something about their value.

I don't know why you're making that assumption. Products that are not well known/cheap are classified as generic by most people. Prescription drugs are a classic example of this. Generic brands will always be cheaper in comparison to the big name brands.

TCL's revenue in relation to the big three would state otherwise but that's not what I'm talking about...

Caldezar

I don't know why you're making that assumption. Products that are not well known/cheap are classified as generic by most people. Prescription drugs are a classic example of this. Generic brands will always be cheaper in comparison to the big name brands.

TCL's revenue in relation to the big three would state otherwise but that's not what I'm talking about...

At this point, I'm not sure if you're just trolling. So I'm going to pass on a comment.

Prickly007

I should be very clear here... I still think that (outside a crazy sale) TCL is the best value for a 4K TV on the market. To get a 65" TV with Roku built in (an amazing media player) and supporting HDR10+ and Dolby... all for $1000?

Every few days I am still being told, maybe (piece of furniture) would actaully look better where it was last week. :giggle: We still don't know what size TV we even want, or the upper budget. It doesn't look like The Scene is using HDR10+ yet, so....

I can tell now I'll be over thinking things, namely one or two low sub-scores in the reviews at rtings.com vs something like the Sony X900F, which scores well in every category. However, the biggest issue will likely be how well any TV handles a bright room; our Great Room has a double sliding door and three windows above that!

Good to know, but I am still inclined to favour Costco's warranty over Amazon, especially as we don't have Prime.

Thanks nToxik. Initial short list has a Vizio, as I recall.