What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Buying Windows 10 Pro

Dwayne

So, I am thinking of creating a new system and it will be Windows based. The old system has a Win7 license upgraded to Win10 when that was available. So, I don't plan on reusing the Win7/Win10 as I will sell it with the system it is on now.

Now comes the question/discussion. It will cost me north of $160 if I buy Windows 10 Pro from any retailer. But I see on eBay and other places that I can get a license and a "broken motherboard" for pennies (comparatively speaking). I have always bit the bullet and paid retail when I built a new system. I felt that it was less headaches in the long run, but perhaps I have been naive and I should check the other road.

From my minor Google search it seems that these resellers are skirting the terms and conditions, but staying within the just legal side of them.

Has anyone else utilized alternatives to retail for their own OEM system builds?

Here is an example:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

And here is an extreme example:

GENUINE WINDOWS 10 PRO 32 / 64BIT OEM ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY- SCRAP PC | eBay

And this:

GENUINE WINDOWS 10 PRO 32 / 64BIT ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY SCRAP PC | eBay

Opinions? I can afford the retail price, but then I ask myself, why?

JD

Staff member
You can find a lot of people doing similar business here: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/. At the very least, you can scroll through the comments and see if other people had success or not.

That being said, it's an extreme YMMV, these are all grey market keys and technically illegal.

ern88

So, I am thinking of creating a new system and it will be Windows based. The old system has a Win7 license upgraded to Win10 when that was available. So, I don't plan on reusing the Win7/Win10 as I will sell it with the system it is on now.

Now comes the question/discussion. It will cost me north of $160 if I buy Windows 10 Pro from any retailer. But I see on eBay and other places that I can get a license and a "broken motherboard" for pennies (comparatively speaking). I have always bit the bullet and paid retail when I built a new system. I felt that it was less headaches in the long run, but perhaps I have been naive and I should check the other road.

From my minor Google search it seems that these resellers are skirting the terms and conditions, but staying within the just legal side of them.

Has anyone else utilized alternatives to retail for their own OEM system builds?

Here is an example:

https://www.kinguin.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

And here is an extreme example:

GENUINE WINDOWS 10 PRO 32 / 64BIT OEM ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY- SCRAP PC | eBay

And this:

GENUINE WINDOWS 10 PRO 32 / 64BIT ORIGINAL LICENSE KEY SCRAP PC | eBay

Opinions? I can afford the retail price, but then I ask myself, why?
Well, I have Windows 10 PRO oem. I changed my motherboard and everything. It wouldn't activate at first. But I did phone activation. And it worked. It reactivated.

KaptCrunch

pimped out key's for sure on social media best 139cad from ms this way you'll get the updates with copy keys zero support

Dwayne

pimped out key's for sure on social media best 139cad from ms this way you'll get the updates with copy keys zero support
That is what I am leaning towards. I need to do some reading on Home and Pro differences again. I think they curtailed the Pro's ability WRT updates, which was the primary use I had.

I guess you pay and take chances or just pay knowing you did the "right thing" and not worry about updates, grey market, dupe keys, etc.

sswilson

Staff member
The biggest benefit (IMO) to pro these days is the ability to turn off cortana.

The other option would be to find an old unused pro or ultimate 7 key which can be used to do a fresh install of W10 pro.

Tyrann

I've used Kinguin twice and can confirm they give legit keys. I even pay the extra $7 for buyer protection for peace of mind. $45 CAD for Win 10 Pro seemed good to me :)

They will give you instructions to call in and then your key gets activated, no issues.

D

Dark Knight

You can find a lot of people doing similar business here: https://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/. At the very least, you can scroll through the comments and see if other people had success or not.

That being said, it's an extreme YMMV, these are all grey market keys and technically illegal.
However the Reddit users charge almost 10x more than what the OP's eBay links charge for a single key. Considering the keys are practically the same I don't see how they can justify charging 10x more for the same key.

Latest posts

Twitter