What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Calibrating Monitors

AkG

After using Spyders for many years (though with Color HCFR for the software... as the spyder software is glitchey on some systems)... I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt they are not as good as the x-rite and their i1display pro model (though the software is meh... freeware like DisplayCal is a good idea). I would take a x-rite colormunki over an entry spyder 5.

Like all parts they DO have a lifespan. The 'secret' to longevity is keep them in a box, in a dark cupboard when not being used as light hitting the sensor degrades it. Do that and they will last for years. But over time they will start to 'drift'. When the drift becomes noticeable... chuck it and throw them away IF not in warranty. If in warranty... RMA it.

YMMV

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

interesting...the entry level Colormunki had a significantly worse rating than the Sypder5 Express...after that the difference on the higher end products got much slimmer.

sswilson

Staff member
AKG can explain his experience best, but I suspect the "smile" isn't in the same league as the models we've been talking about. The Spyder5 Express might be the lowest of that line, but it's still the same hardware as their higher end products.

AkG

With x-rite entry level kit... you are buying an inexpensive sensor at a cheap price. With their higher priced kit you are buying a better sensor at a higher price.
With Spyder... no matter what you pay you are getting an inexpensive sensor and just buying 'better' software.
I went through about a dozen Spyder 5's and used an factory calibrated, and certified 10-bit panel as my test. Each Spyder gave a different result in color hcfr. Only 1 was even close... and if I had trusted the softare it still would have made things worse.
Grabbed a colormunki from a bud. Perfect. No need to change anything in color HCFR. Same with the idispaly pro sensor... which I then purchased. 2for2 vs 0 for 12. 'nuff said on Spyder QC.

Easiest thing to do is... grab a cheap colorimeter. DL Color HCFR (and install the proper driver needed for your sensor). Adjust the monitor to 'photo' mode (or whatever gives best results). Turn OFF Dynamic everything. Turn off bluelight tech. Turn off eco BS.
Run color HCFR. Dial down brightness to 120nits.
Manually adjust r/g/b until they are all 100/100/100. Shutdown color hcfr. Unplug sensor. Write down numbers 'just in case'.
Every 6-12 months re-run to see if there is color drift.
Done. No software is running in background. No hassles. No over-paying for software upgrades.
That is how 'hard' it is to color calibrate a monitor to be 'good enough' for the average peep. Will take you 5 to 10 minutes (maybe longer if its a POS TN panel). If you want to get fancy you can then go down the gamma rabbit hole. Few will notice. If you do... color correct in HCFR. Install the software. Run it. It will make a monitor file. Copy it. Unistall the software. Manually point windows to the monitor file. Bam. Done as good as you will get on anything under a $$$$ calibrator. If you are OCD. x-rites work with some montiors and will load it directly into the monitor itself. ;)

Last edited:

Cypher^64

How are you supposed to set the brightness correctly?

I set it to 50 on the monitor and the first part in displaycal it shows the meters on point, I run the calibration but wow... it's like burning my retinas.
I set it to 35 on the AOC and reran the calibration and it's better, but still finding it bright.

JD

Staff member
Personally I set it to an acceptable brightness and then calibrate. If it gives any warnings, I just ignore them.

120 nits like most people suggest is simply too bright for me. I don't have any direct sunlight on my monitor and most of the usage is at night time anyhow.

On2wheels

Is there much value in sites like this http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php ? That particular test is where my screen fails. I'm curious about it since in games that are very dark I have a hard time seeing what some Twitch streamers seem to see very easily. It's got me wondering if my screen settings are way off whack.

JD

Staff member
Is there much value in sites like this http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/white.php ? That particular test is where my screen fails. I'm curious about it since in games that are very dark I have a hard time seeing what some Twitch streamers seem to see very easily. It's got me wondering if my screen settings are way off whack.
Those sort of images/charts can give you an idea if your monitor is displaying things correctly or not, but that's relying upon your vision being perfect. If you don't do any photo/video/print work, then it's no harm to calibrate based to what you feel looks "best". Otherwise you should likely invest in a sensor and calibrate for accuracy.

Even with a monitor calibrated to the (standard) 2.2 gamma, dark parts in games are going to be dark as that's how it should be for realism. However, I'd say most people crank up the gamma/brightness in games so they have that advantage of being able to see in the darker spots.

KaptCrunch

Have tried the built in calibrate tool in windows, search calibrate
Will open welcome to display color calibration note need to be online to use this future

Last edited:
Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter