What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

California (and some other states) has banned high end gaming PC's!

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan

not sure how this law coming into effect was missed as it was passed in 2017.

so, I can see some places blocking the sale of gaming PC's to Cali now...but how will resellers know what constitutes a high end gaming PC vs a mid-range or entry level? is Cali going to make it so shipments of PSU and GPU into the state are a controlled item? what about content creators that buy high end gaming PC's but use them for work? my goodness...this will be interesting!

sswilson

Staff member
I didn't read the article you linked to, but I've been following this in my travels today.

What it breaks down to is that there's a chart of some form which lists the maximum power draw of specific devices, and some higher end manufacturers' gaming PCs are over those limits.

The easy solution/back door? Sell those PCs without the GPUs with an option to purchase the GPU separately.

Marzipan

Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canuckistan
actually, on another forum that I saw this for the first time, there are comments that it has to do with idle power consumption. however, if that's the truth, then Dell had a serious knee jerk reaction in total ban / block of any Alienware PC's to the states with this legislation.

ironically...none of the XPS line is blocked, despite the high end specs they can be outfitted with. heh!

Shadowmeph

I didn't read the article you linked to, but I've been following this in my travels today.

What it breaks down to is that there's a chart of some form which lists the maximum power draw of specific devices, and some higher end manufacturers' gaming PCs are over those limits.

The easy solution/back door? Sell those PCs without the GPUs with an option to purchase the GPU separately.
or they could just have the ubuildit they supply all the parts you put it together also what about people who own several servers at home there power draw must be high also

moocow

Not just computer, monitor max brightness output is also subjected. Only impacts prebuilt systems at the moment so people can still custom build power hogs all they want.

Izerous

Folding Team
Gaming machines are basically exempt from this and a lot of people are over reacting. The Jayztwocents video linked above does a really good job of explaining it in better detail.

Basically if it has something like a 600+ PSU and a good enough GPU it is exempt.

It also only applies to system integrators not home built.

This main seems to target office machines more than anything and it has to do with sleep power states. Think of how many office computers are asleep in an office tower 16+ hours a day. The less expandable the machine the tighter the restrictions. Tiny 1 off dell desktops that can't even add a sound card in these office towers are more heavily restricted than anything else. Laptop are also more heavily restricted due to their low expandability.

This is where the push for ATX12VO also came from because it is a large leap in sleep state power efficiency.

Latest posts