What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Can I run my board on one 4pin atx

Shadowarez

As title implies can I run my Asus sage 10g with just 1 4pin atx pin for the CPU it'll be a i5 7640x 4 core? Got a corsair 650 sfx on way but need test board see if it's functional.

Shadowarez

Ahh the board uses 6pin pcie I have a few 6pin to sata not sure that'd work. The PSU I'm usi g is 650 watts atm but think it only has a single 6 pin its not modular.

Cannon Fodder

Now you've got me confused..... as the thread, that Lysrin linked to, mentioned, the CPU power should be 4 or 8 pin, so why are you talking about 6pin PCI-E, when you're wondering about checking the board with a particular CPU? o_O

Shadowarez

I'm miscounting the pins on this board I Beleive its the CPU power for this and if I can populate 1 instws of both and be ok until I get my other PSU in.

KaptCrunch

Yes to can fit for the so called (square with 2 corners beveled) key fits in a square hole on MB

For I killed GPU over that CM didn’t mark the cables on PSU

You can see with coloured wires but were all black wires after with multimeter checked pin out found polarity was wrong

So if wanting 8 and only have 4 CPU power on PSU can re pin the PCI-e power to match MB power. if PSU has enough amps on the 12 volt rail you can do that other get proper PSU

Note: for 8 pin MB power is for crunching all cores an threads running full and server app’s

So no pci-e to power MB

Just check with multimeter to be sure correct pin out before connecting to MB

Shadowarez
Call Asus for looked at manual states 2 x 8 pin plug, witch is confusing.

so ask for the pin out for I know MB and PCI-e are different hate see you smoke a $grand

JD

Staff member
This board has a lot of power connectors...

You might be able to use 4pin CPU power in the right most socket at the top of the CPU. I'm not sure it's advisable to run any heavy loads in that state though as you probably won't really be supplying enough power to the CPU. If you just need to quickly test the board functionality though, you might be okay.

The socket below the PSU looks to be for PCIe 6pin power, likely to give more power to the PCIe slots when running triple GPUs.

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter