What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

can someone explain HDD sector size to me?

sswilson

Staff member
I had a 20MB HDD in my 8088! :D

I had a small(ish) MFM drive formatted out to RLL specs. Don't remember the exact capacity but it was probably something like 10MB formatted out to 15MB. Because I (we) were abusing the media the drive had to be error checked fairly frequently and that took the better part of 24 hrs. :)

Around the same time I also had a small(ish) drive with a weak drive motor that wouldn't start on it's own... back then the drive spindle was accessible between the case and the PCB so I could use a Popsicle stick to get it spinning before hitting the power button. :)

edit: I also remember having to buy my first 1GB drive so that I could fit the DII expansion pack onto my system.

Valkyrie

I had a small(ish) MFM drive formatted out to RLL specs. Don't remember the exact capacity but it was probably something like 10MB formatted out to 15MB. Because I (we) were abusing the media the drive had to be error checked fairly frequently and that took the better part of 24 hrs. :)

Around the same time I also had a small(ish) drive with a weak drive motor that wouldn't start on it's own... back then the drive spindle was accessible between the case and the PCB so I could use a Popsicle stick to get it spinning before hitting the power button. :)

edit: I also remember having to buy my first 1GB drive so that I could fit the DII expansion pack onto my system.
I thought you were in for the tape drive era sswilson, as was I. Fortunately I missed the punch cards.:)

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
I had a tape drive for my chicklet CoCo. I didn't have a Radio Shack branded one though... just a standard "portable" with a tone adjustment. :)

My better half (still sporting her maiden name) used to read the code from Rainbow magazine for me to type in.

Latest posts