What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Can this spell DISASTER??

Gamashinoch

i've got a somewhat similiar problem. My mobo is an matx SLI board. the runnin' of two cards isn't the problem, the probelm is running one card and a PCI card (sound card). The sound card is literally up against the videocard when installed. onboard sound really smells, but i'm sure creative's drivers for vista 64 aren't too hot so i might not be missing out on much.

frosty

I just want to know why you'd put a high end video card in that slot since it is the 8X only slot and the 2 upper PCI-e 16X slots are the ones meant for SLI. I find it even more amazing noone else caught this simple solution before me. Put your cards in the upper 2 slots and try to forget that this was the silliest non-issue you ever had.

to be honest myfriend, I wasn't 100 percent sure that this was the slot... I assumed it was the right slot. I swear I remember reading that the 2 outside slots were for SLI and the middle one was for physics... Now Im not at home, and I took the photo a week or so ago, just becasue I was redoing my cable management... When I do eventually get home I will most certainly double check as to which slot it goes in..... LOL.....and to be honest I hope you are right and I am wrong in the photobut again I will most cetainly double check in the manual... LOL.....

frosty

found this in a review of the board...this is there photo I copied right from there review..

noticed the slots the cards are in...

DSCF0806.jpg

notice the white slot at the bottom on right by the cmos battery..

and this is a photo I took of my system during build, and see where the white slot is in this photo.....i think I am correct in assuming I have the right slots in my original picutre on page 1...

245165856.jpg

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Yes you are. The upper and lower PCI-E slots are X16. The middle blue slot is for a physics card.

magictorch

looks about right

That card is huge! I guess you will have to move it up and forget about SLI in that case.
Not sure I like the whole PSU at the bottom thing. I find the PSU at the top helps to suck the rising air from the rest of the components and spits it out at the back. Drawing as much cold air as possible through the bottom seems to work well to help airflow over the MB etc....I could be wrong although I think theres plenty of room for inovative case designers to improve on current configorations.

b1lk1

Well hell, I am wrong once again! LOL!!!!!!

Anyhow, I still say you'll be fine SLIing them in the proper slots since I run a GX2 and they (the 2 cards on the 1 GX2) are about that close together and there is really no heat issue. The top core is only about 2-3C warmer than the bottom and the top card's HSF is probably closer to the PCB of the lower card than your card to the PSU.

frosty

That card is huge! I guess you will have to move it up and forget about SLI in that case.
Not sure I like the whole PSU at the bottom thing. I find the PSU at the top helps to suck the rising air from the rest of the components and spits it out at the back. Drawing as much cold air as possible through the bottom seems to work well to help airflow over the MB etc....I could be wrong although I think theres plenty of room for inovative case designers to improve on current configorations.

they design it like this for the sole purpose of the 200mm fan that is installed at the top of the case which pulls heat out of the case...
273109669.jpg
that being said theres only one place for the PSU and thats on the bottom......

as for the card being huge...heres a few photo...
273108849.jpg

273108846.jpg

245165812.jpg

magictorch

looks good

I guess that top fan will help to offset that PSU at the bottom. I suppose the key is to have plenty of room for air to flow in and out. That card really is massive. I wonder if they will keep on growing like this. They might as well come with a mains plug in the future!

Gamashinoch

Agreed. We're beginning to skirt the boundaries of Voodoo 5 6000 reminiscence.:sad: And that gigantic quad-chip video card came with its own power supply...
ha! the card that never was. Poor poor 3dfx if you'd supported 32bit colour as your future buyer did (nVidia) instead of the odd 24bit to begin with you'd prolly still be kickin' today. Oh well runnin' 2xVoodoo 2's was a fun run.

On a side note....i got the same case brother. I like the way the PSU is. Also with that 200MM fan on the top we have no worries about hot air rising.

ya know, you might be able to get away with runnin' SLI now that I konw what case you have.

Got room to utilize that 120mm fan spot on the side? It'd be right over your cards.

Last edited:

Latest posts